Lots of norad comms in texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa1emt

Premium Subscriber
I subscribe to a yahoo group (houscan) in houston and recently a few guys have been picking up alot of NORAD comms with EAM's being sent and data signals.
So far the frequencies are:

383.550 (airborn command post)?

Im just curious why there has been such an increase (reported) in activity on these frequencies and if anyone else hears this in other states as well. I have looked in the other states forums but no mention of these frequencies.
Not being a conspiriacy theorist but mabey theres a reason but not alot of people have been listening to them.

CalebATC

I subscribe to a yahoo group (houscan) in houston and recently a few guys have been picking up alot of NORAD comms with EAM's being sent and data signals.

Im just curious why there has been such an increase (reported) in activity on these frequencies and if anyone else hears this in other states as well. I have looked in the other states forums but no mention of these frequencies.
Not being a conspiriacy theorist but mabey theres a reason but not alot of people have been listening to them.

No no no conspiracy at all there! It happens all the time! Occasionally, USAF will send some E-3's, E-4's, E-6's, E-8's, and more command aircraft to certain places to work command post for exercises for fighter wings, reserve units, and ANG units, and sometimes Navy. After a week or two... maybe three if your lucky (sometimes even just a few hours!), they will leave. It benefits everyone, the controllers, pilots, and local pilots.

The EAM's aren't very normal for the UHF and VHF frequencies around here, but they are more common near the great lakes area where the wire draggers fly around at. I have heard a few though... one that later flew right over my house, even got pictures of it! Anyways.... the EAM's will be broadcasted on various frequencies, 311.0 MHz for sure. The data stream could also be encryption, or data links too! Not to mention the "burning" frequency that's on all the time while the E-4 flies.

But yes, no need to speculate, it's all just an exercise. We get them seldomly... but they are a joy to listen to. My favorite part is the AWACS calls!

wa1emt

Premium Subscriber

CalebATC

The frequencies for NORAD aren't very pulbished, persay. Kinda a hit and miss thing, you just have to scan around. Start here though: AWACS, NORAD, Steelgate - The RadioReference Wiki All the rest will be scanning. Good luck and let us know what you get!

There is a callsign list in Word somewhere from MT Milcom. I tried to find it on the internet, but couldn't. This is it, but a text version. Much more probably, and very recent. Milcom Monitoring Post: Ron Perron's Military Callsign 9-2011 List

Just a bit of clarification, 364.2 is NORAD, but the others are STRATCOM freqs. Thats whey you are hearing EAM's

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.

311.0 and 364.2 are pretty much comon coms nationwide. Even with the standard AM Military radio comms, thorugh research and listening ; you will find out that one freq can be shared by different military units at different locations. Listening to different call signs is the key - cause just someone keys up on a freq , that transmission can go for hundreds of miles. Esentially they are broadcasting from a 15,000 to a 40,00 foot antenna ( altitude of aircraft ). Propagation , atmospheric conditions help determine the receiving signal strength, clarity and distance broadcasted. I actually hear some military aircraft comms better when the day is overcast.... Ask yourself , why is that?

Good luck listening.

FF - Medic !!!

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.

In case you are a real newbie - Military Comms Monitoring. HF VHF UHF

Good luck with MILAIR.

FF - Medic !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.