Loudon City leaving TACN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
With information that Loudon City is about to pop out new DMR repeaters for their FD and PD, is this meaning they are leaving TACN?

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
I thumbed through their minutes. All I found was this blurb:

Mayor Harris presented a resolution to purchase radios and communication system for the Loudon Police Department and Loudon Fire Department. A motion was made by Councilmember Brewster, seconded by Councilmember Dixon that the following resolution be passed: RESOLUTION NO. 2019-27 AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASE OF UHF DIGITAL COMMUNICATION SYSTEM FROM COMMUNICATIONS & ELECTRONICS, INC.Upon a vote, the resolution unanimously passed.

https://www.cityofloudontn.org/pdfs/minutes/2019/09162019_regular.pdf

I couldn't find the actual resolution, though.

I wasn't aware Loudon went to TACN; I thought they were the lone holdouts, even though Chattanooga went ahead and allocated talkgroups to them.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I have never heard Loudon PD or FD on TACN even though they have TGs on the system. They have always used UHF analog.

I did see where the DMR emissions designations have been added to the LPD frequency on the FCC DB and LFD has a new frequency added with DMR emissions designations. Both are pending.

Last edited:

zachgallop

Lenoir city FD, Lenoir City PD, Loudon county SO, and Lenoir City Utilities Board are on TACN for primary comms. Lenoir city fire simulcast the dispatch side on uhf from TACN.Everyone else’s primary comms are on uhf. Some fire department units have TACN capable radios and come up on LCSO DISP sometimes. Loudon PD also has a TACN radio one officer monitors it every shift. They have a few dmr capable radios, Motorola XPRs. Some are kenwood analog only radios. Radio service was doing some things to the LPD repeater a few weeks ago and advised dispatch it would be down for a minute.It may be related to this radio change. Here is the resolution:

zachgallop

So far both talkgroups are clear as well but it appears to they are using RAS, so only a scanners will work. I have tried receiving the talkgroups on my XPR7550 and TYT MD2017 with no luck.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
So far both talkgroups are clear as well but it appears to they are using RAS, so only a scanners will work. I have tried receiving the talkgroups on my XPR7550 and TYT MD2017 with no luck.
Which is how its supposed to work. Unless you are an authorized user, your not supposed to have access to the system on an radio. Scanners and SDR's are another matter. (If you do have access on your personal radio and not authorized to do so, do not brag about it as it leads to the paranoia of system admins, which leads to the Enhanced Security getting turned on.)

Status
Not open for further replies.