Loudoun Co. - 700/800MHz Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
I was not aware of the additional frequencies,,,,but I have been repeatedly told that Loudoun County does not possess enough "space" to leave permanent patches up with hospitals or carry state police traffic like Fairfax County system does. The additional frequencies in the 700 band if added to the 800 band frequencies may be the answer to making Loudoun's public safety radio system more comparable with Fairfax's County's system and give Loudoun the same functionality. Then ems units for example would not have to ask for a patch every time they want to talk to a hospital, the patches would be permanent and in place full-time and they could just switch to the designated channel and call the hospital directly (like Fairfax County does it).

jpb

Premium Subscriber
There have not been hospital "patches" in Loudoun since the 800 MHz trunked system replaced low band. Previously, the hospital had a tone remote console that needed to be patched through the dispatch console to low band. Now, each ER has its own talkgroup, including separate ones at the Inova Lansdowne adult and pediatric ERs. They are not patches, however, the phrase "patch" has never died. Units call Loudoun dispatch to request to talk to the hospital, but that too is a legacy. They call the hospital on the direct phone line and tell them to answer the radio. Alternately, they could do what all the other regional hospitals are told: "This is your channel. If someone calls, answer it. It's for you." But that's the way we've always done it...

Back on subject, they are looking forward to eliminate the FDMA "dual dynamic" mode so they can use both Phase II TDMA slots on all channels for capacity. I'm sure they would love to add to the pool of available channels.

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for a lot better explanation about "the patches", hopefully the new frequencies will give Loudoun better functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.