Loudoun Co - System change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikev

Loudoun Co - System change coming?

So for no reason whatsoever, I was browsing the FCC info for Loudoun... found this granted back in December... it is showing six sites... the frequencies look to be both the current system frequencies as well as the old pre-reband frequencies...

WQKP621 (LOUDOUN, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

What's throwing me about this is the six sites... the current system (at least to my knowledge) is only using two (Ashburn and Sterling), correct? Is this something new that will be switched to in the near future? Or is it something that has been quietly migrated to over time? The site locations look to be in optimal places that would support interoperability with all surrounding counties, while also likely beefing up coverage in some southern and western parts of the county.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

freqhopping

The current and previous both use(d) all six of those sites. They have always existed. There are actually nine sites though. The recent grant was probably related to the re-banding, that's why it is classified as Special Temporary.

Loudoun actually operates as WPRS263. Occasionally you will hear a dispatcher give the station ID. This license was modified this year with the addition of the re-banded frequencies and changing the service code from YF to YE.

WPQZ390 is another license for the trunked system, it's for the Sterling Elmwood Ct and Ashburn Alford Rd sites. The documentation even references WPRS263 as an associated callsign.

WQKP621 covers the site in Sugarland Run.

WQCT758 is also part of the system, just one frequency pair though.

I have no idea why it all isn't under one license.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Maybe it is just me but my reception from Loudoun has been better since Thursday. I am in the western part of the country and usually my 800 has to be in certain location in my home in order to receive. Others places are dead spots but now the Loudoun comes in no matter where the radio is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.