Loudoun County Sheriff's Office Dispatch - South Channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecarvalho

Often when the dispatch channel (TGID2805) is held for an incident other units are directed to a "south channel" ... my question is, what is that channel TGID? I see no "south channel" listed in the database.
Possibly a TAC channel?

Any help is appreciated.

clbsquared

It looks like the Sheriffs Department has 3 dispatch channels. Sterling, Dulles, and Brambleton. Are either of the other two locations south of Dulles? I'm wondering why they would leave the incident traffic on the main dispatch channel instead of sending it to a TAC channel and freeing up the main channel for normal traffic.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I think some philosophies are to leave units involved on serious calls on the same channel. That way they don't inadvertently switch to an incorrect channel. The remaining available units then switch to an alternate channel. I can't say whether or not this is Loudon's reasoning, however.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
It looks like the Sheriffs Department has 3 dispatch channels. Sterling, Dulles, and Brambleton. Are either of the other two locations south of Dulles? I'm wondering why they would leave the incident traffic on the main dispatch channel instead of sending it to a TAC channel and freeing up the main channel for normal traffic.

They have been referring to Sterling as East and Dullas as West for a while now but some still call them Sterling and Dullas.

Imagine if you were dispatched to a call or pulled someone over then they pulled a gun on you. Would it be practical for you to have to fumble with your radio to change the channel and deal with the person with a gun or have everyone else change channels and ones backing you up stay on your channel?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

clbsquared

They have been referring to Sterling as East and Dullas as West for a while now but some still call them Sterling and Dullas.

Imagine if you were dispatched to a call or pulled someone over then they pulled a gun on you. Would it be practical for you to have to fumble with your radio to change the channel and deal with the person with a gun or have everyone else change channels and ones backing you up stay on your channel?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I've been in that situation, and you are 100% correct. Perhaps I read too much into the OP's post. I was assuming he meant ALL incident traffic. Fire, EMS, MVA's, Pursuits, etc.

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
The answer to the original question is as follows; if traffic is held on either Dulles or Sterling dispatch, all the other units are to switch to the other dispatch channels. The Sheriff Office only runs two dispatch channels, Sterling for the Sterling area and Dulles for the remainder of the county. Disregard the other names in the database, those talkgroups are only used as a as needed basis and usually their designated names have nothing to do with their intermittent use.

Status
Not open for further replies.