Louisiana Wireless Information Network (LWIN) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-B

Another new St. Landry Parish ID - 24051
It is a fire dept. I heard several units saying they were enroute to an alarm activation and then they were cancelled because it was a false alarm. Unit numbers were in the 100's and 200's. I heard references to "central" and districts. Don't know yet what city it's for.

Technoguy58

I've been trying to figure out exactly what 24051 is for a few weeks now. Various FD units check in every weekday between 8:00 and 9:00. I've heard Lawtell FD, Washington FD, as well as district trucks check in but I never hear any dispatch on this group. Seems like maybe an agency or service that is doing morning radio checks for all FD's in the parish. Originally I thought maybe it was a WIDE FIRE dispatch group but not really sure.

Tim-B

From what I've been hearing 6641 is definitely one of the universities or trade schools but I can't tell which one. Most of the traffic is just people getting 10-8 or going 10-7 or going to lunch. Other than that I hear them asking for certain classrooms to be be unlocked.

R7000

What controls site/repeats of TG?

I'm in Lafayette and just heard Union Parish SO on TGID 54500. Union Parish is on the Arkansas border. The accent caught my attention first (you boys ain't from around here) but then I wonder why Union Parish S.O. would be repeated in Lafayette?

Is it because there is a Union Parish user roaming in Lafayette? how does this work?

Tom

Tim-B

Yes. It means that someone in the Lafayette area has their radio set on that talkgroup. When a radio is turned on or when its user switches channels it sends a signal to the site it is using to let the site know what channel it is on. The site keeps track of what channels are being used by the radios that are "affiliated" with that site. The site will only transmit the traffic on the talkgroups on that list. When that user moves to another area and his radio affiliates with a different site or when he changes channels the site will no longer transmit the traffic on that talkgroup. That is how you can have thousands of talkgroups with tens of thousands of users on one big statewide system and only use ten or fifteen frequencies on most sites. A site will not transmit traffic on any talkgroup that is not being used by the radios that are affiliated with that site as it would be a needless waste of precious voice frequencies. That is also why you will mainly hear only those agencies within range of the site you are monitoring. On holidays I often hear the main dispatch channels of agencies from many different parishes around the state. It must be that many of them who are off on those holidays take their radios with them and listen to their respective departments when they come to Lafayette to visit family on holiday weekends.

All it takes is one radio to be set on a certain channel and the site will transmit all traffic on that channel. That is why I maninly monitor the Scott site. The antennas for LWIN on that tower are about 600 feet above ground level. I can hear all the parishes surrounding Lafayette Parish from that site.

n5ims

I'm in Lafayette and just heard Union Parish SO on TGID 54500. Union Parish is on the Arkansas border. The accent caught my attention first (you boys ain't from around here) but then I wonder why Union Parish S.O. would be repeated in Lafayette?

Is it because there is a Union Parish user roaming in Lafayette? how does this work?

Tom

Quite likely that a UPSO officer is heading south to pick up a prisoner for transport back for trial, or even they're heading to Baton Rouge for some specialized training. Quite often while in transit, they'll keep their radio on their home talkgroup to keep up with what's going on back home and be available to answer questions that may come up on cases that they're working.

Tim-B

There must be a number of deputies from different North LA parishes in Lafayette for some kind of training. I have been hearing at least half a dozen North LA SO dispatch channels active on the Scott site.

Tim-B

Does anyone know what brand and model radios Breaux Bridge PD uses? All their radios sound like la merde. The audio on the dispatcher's radio keeps going high-low-high-low-high-low while she talks and most the units do the same. The radios seem to want to mute the beginning of every word but they don't quite go all the way to mute but just lower the audio very low on the first syllable of every word with the rest of the word at normal volume.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And when they finally move to TDMA it doubles

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

teebee

Assumption SO

So long Assumption Parish SO, They have joined the ENC family. One of the most entertaining activity in my listening area

shew

So long Assumption Parish SO, They have joined the ENC family. One of the most entertaining activity in my listening area

yes i was listening to the pro-106 that the neighbor has...and i heard the garbled transmission and looked and saw it was assumption s.o. channel 2...have not heard channel 1 all day...especially with the escaped prisoner from their jail earlier this morning

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Is that APSO 1 and 2 that are now full time E? Or is it just in use for sensitive ops??

teebee

I was wondering the same thing. They always use CH 1, however for the past two days CH 1 has been dead and steady using CH 2 with full enc.

red8

Does anybody know what is going on with the LWIN. I haven't picked up anything all today. Whenever I go to the talk group it tells me unable to find control channel. I wonder if there are some alt. frequencies that I could put in on my 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.