Louisville Emergency Communications Network: MetroSafe - Discussion Thread

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
New feed just showed up for the Anchorage-Middletown Police Department. The feed is scanning the anchorage Pd channel. Has Middletown joined anchorage PD dispatch or are they still on JCSO 4?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I would not rule out other law enforcement agencies using MetroSafe which may have encrypted talkgroups in the less than 100 range.

Service 1 and Service 2 are LMPD "service" channels that are used for things like running registrations, checking for warrants when away from a Mobile Data Terminal, asking the dispatcher to notify public works a traffic light isn't working, calling for a wrecker, etc. I think "Service 1" is the workhorse with Service 2 being there for future use.

I'm scratching my head about the Anchorage-Middletown POLICE talkgroup. Anchorage Fire and Middletown Fire merged a few years ago (with some others coming to the fold later). These were fire protection districts, their own form of government that only provides fire protection.

However Anchorage and Middletown are cities and completely different from fire districts. I'm unaware of any police department mergers.

Anchorage Police has their own dispatch center. A lot of handsome people have worked there over the years.

The city of Middletown appears to use the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office for dispatching purposes - their website shows the sheriff dispatch center's phone number.

Alrib123

8,9,10,11 are all encrypted, I'm thinking they might be Patrol Tacs as they are close to the Patrol Channels, but you are correct we don't know, I'm using Unitrunker to track RID's and you can see a pattern
70,71,72,73,74,75,76,77 are also on the pattern not all had voice grants some were just affiliations
Looking at the radio IDs on those TGs might give you a hint as to what they're used for

alky1234

Ø
Feed Provider
New feed just showed up for the Anchorage-Middletown Police Department. The feed is scanning the anchorage Pd channel. Has Middletown joined anchorage PD dispatch or are they still on JCSO 4?

Middletown Police Department is most definently still dispatched on JCSO 4... There is no such police department as "Anchorage-Middletown".....

I just saw someone on Broadcastify put a feed for EMS I haven’t heard any traffic yet. According to the description the person is streaming encrypted talkgroups no idea if it’s just random garbled mess or if it has a key or not the feed link is below this post

I see no point in this even being a stream, this TG is silent 99% of the time and is starting to be set as RX only in new radios. If any true EMS traffic was carried on here it would be encrypted.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
Middletown Police Department is most definently still dispatched on JCSO 4... There is no such police department as "Anchorage-Middletown".....

I see no point in this even being a stream, this TG is silent 99% of the time and is starting to be set as RX only in new radios. If any true EMS traffic was carried on here it would be encrypted.
I totally agree the MED ALERT TG when I’m monitoring is never active. The person running this feed was broadcasting encrypted channels at first before I sent him a message about how they are encrypted and can’t be monitored

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I totally agree the MED ALERT TG when I’m monitoring is never active. The person running this feed was broadcasting encrypted channels at first before I sent him a message about how they are encrypted and can’t be monitored

Has anyone actually confirmed what was being broadcast was actually in fact encrypted (I rushed to judgement but in retrospect we need facts) med alert shows clear in the database and I’m not there anymore to confirm

Last edited:

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone actually confirmed what was being broadcast was actually in fact encrypted (I rushed to judgement but in retrospect we need facts) med alert shows clear in the database and I’m not there anymore to confirm
I monitor med alert on all of my scan list on my XTS 5000 and it isn’t encrypted but rarely does traffic come through

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
MetroSafe has been looking toward Phase II for a number of years. They have upgraded some equipment and software along the way.

If I was a betting guy, any changes will be incremental. I believe there are many XTS 1500, 2500 and 5000 in use and I don't believe they are phase II capable.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
MetroSafe has been looking toward Phase II for a number of years. They have upgraded some equipment and software along the way.

If I was a betting guy, any changes will be incremental. I believe there are many XTS 1500, 2500 and 5000 in use and I don't believe they are phase II capable.
the xts and xtl series radios are not phase II capable. Motorola no longer supports them so anything that is being replaced or added will be phase II but backward compatable to phase I until the system is totally converted over

alky1234

Ø
Feed Provider

If I was a betting man, I would say we won't see Phase II anytime soon.... But that's just my opinion ;)

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I have been around town and near the campus all weekend and have seen plenty of Astro25 phase I radios in use and monitoring on an XTS5000

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Back in 2008 or so, they were looking at some 6,000 XTS/XTL subscriber units. As time went along, there were those lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair. With XTS being a thing of the past, APX units were phased in. A guy I know was saying one fire department is about 1/3 APX and 2/3 XT.

The initial outlay was in the $14M neighborhood, so a mass replacement will likely exceed that. It took 2/3 years just to settle on how many of what type were needed.

I think any change will be a while.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know where else to post this but unfortunately due to many hardware issues I have to discontinue the MetroSafe call node. I will still run my feed for LFD and JCF but i hope someone could take this node over for me since my hardware has become super unreliable over the last few weeks.