Loveland Fire map system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

I don't know about Loveland, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but most mapping systems used by Public Safety are part of CAD. So, to answer your question, the type of mapping system depends on what CAD system they are using. I suppose if you had a few thousand dollars you could buy the CAD, and get the mapping system that way :p

nathancarlson

I don't know HOW it works, or what it is, but from monitoring it I am very impressed with how effecient it is! I love how they assign talk groups to the calls, allowing the dispatch channel for dispatching. Good system from what I hvae heard. Its always confusing here in Longmont when they have the Dispatch channel, then decide to swith to Tac-2 on a call, and then the Batallion has to monitor both channels and try to coordinate everything and it seems like a bit of a pain to me. Plus, when there are multiple incidents and one time, what do they do in that situation? Or the other night when they had two of the three police channels tied up on one call. They certainly could use more talk groups for each agency, especially when they seem to establish an incident command so frequently.

jfab

I don't know HOW it works, or what it is, but from monitoring it I am very impressed with how effecient it is! I love how they assign talk groups to the calls, allowing the dispatch channel for dispatching. Good system from what I hvae heard. Its always confusing here in Longmont when they have the Dispatch channel, then decide to swith to Tac-2 on a call, and then the Batallion has to monitor both channels and try to coordinate everything and it seems like a bit of a pain to me. Plus, when there are multiple incidents and one time, what do they do in that situation? Or the other night when they had two of the three police channels tied up on one call. They certainly could use more talk groups for each agency, especially when they seem to establish an incident command so frequently.
Sounds like someone is encouraging Longmont to go to DTRS :D

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Most dispatch centers use their own locally/internally produced GIS system/data for mapping. I can't swear that that is the case with Longmont, but it is common.

fireemt55

Premium Subscriber
You may not be able to get access to their "system" as the last time I heard they were using TriTech's VisiCAD. Although on a very high level the map information "created" in VisiCAD is based upon exisiting GIS (Geographic Information Systems) data files. If you are wanting that data you can do one of a couple of things:

1) Contact the dispatch center and ask for whoever does their GIS data...it might be done in-house to dispatch but most likely not.
2) Contact the City of Loveland's GIS Department.
3) Contact Larimer County's GIS Department as they probably provide data for this as well.

You might be able to get just a printed map with the Map Grids on it which would give you the same information.

Hope that helps.

rickak

Can anyone tell me what map system they use

Are you asking what the mapgrids are? You dont need their CAD system to understand that. Like most map grid systems is it based on township/range lines, which usually also map to major roads. The first number is the north/south part of the grid, and the letter is the east/west. The last number is the quadrant in the given grid.

For example, the area between eisenhower blvd and east 1st st is 42. The area between Garfield and Taft is K. So the are bound by ike, e 1st, garfield, and taft is "42K". The last number is the quadrant in that area: 1 is the NE quadrant, 2 is the NW, 3 is the SW, and 4 is the SE. So "42 King 1" is the northeast quadrant of that mapgrid.

The grid numbers are ordered north to south, the grid letters are ordered west to east.

Hope this helps. By the way, Loveland and Poudre share the same system...

Rick

lmriggs

Rick, thanks for the response.

I will admit I don't fully understand much of the language of the first responders not being in the business but what I had in mind was getting a hardcopy of the maps (books?) so I could follow their location.

For example, the other day a medical issue at Walmart was called out as "Map page 42 Mary one". This is consistent with what you said about the 1st and Ike area. But there are more times than not that I don't know what the location is w/o going thru great pains using Mapquest.

As I monitor my '96, it's just that I like to picture the intercetion, MM or whatever as the action is going on. But it's not a big deal--I just enjoy listening.

rickak

I use the northern colorado MAPSCO mapbook. The grid in that mapbook matches the township/range grid model, so you can just write the letters and numbers Loveland and PFA use in the margin. After a while you'll get to know basically where a call is by the mappage number you hear.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.