Loveland PD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
It seems there are some officers (maybe detectives?) that are full blown encrypted, but the others are not. They talk on dispatch all the time. Are they sergeants or what? Just wondering who might these officers be?

Thanks.

poltergeisty

Banned
So this might be a clue. You hear sam 67 call bravo 183. Bravo 183 is encrypted. But sam 67 says something at the end which I have amplified sounding like, "something call me Sarg?" Or, "are you free to give me a call, Sarg?" It's that Sarg part I'm wondering about. Becasue then that means all Sergeants like Bravo 183 must be using encrypted Comms.

crazy88

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, that is strange. I don't think I've heard scrambled transmissions like that from Loveland PD. I feel like I heard Sam 65 transmitting last night. I interpret “Sam 67 Bravo 183” as a swing shift officer calling a Sarg.

poltergeisty

Banned
I'm using an old BC296D which doesn't mute encrypted comms like your new scanners do. So when an encrypted transmission comes over the air I hear the traffic. Again, all the new scanners that I know of just mute it. They may even skip and keep scanning upon receiving an encrypted transmission, I don't know.

It's an old beast, my first beast of a P25 capable scanner, but it suffices for my 24/7 monitoring needs.

crazy88

Premium Subscriber
Yea you’re right, these newer Unidens will show an encrypted channel for a half second with nothing heard then start scanning again once it knows it’s encrypted. It got to the point that all the muted encrypted channels were slowing my scanning down so all the local encrypted law channels are now set on “avoid.”

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Not surprising. They have indicated in the past they were heading towards this.

Insulator

They are bound and determined to shut down everything along the front range. Too bad. I had over 45 years monitoring. Now they can say or do anything and no accountability or transparency.

poltergeisty

Banned
Just an update. Now dispatch isn't encrypted. Between the few radios that are using encrypted all the time and this, I think maybe they are testing things or something. Not sure.

Would be a shame to lose the ability to know what is going on in the community. I don't listen to the other channels or anything, just PD dispatch and fire/ems dispatch.

crazy88

Premium Subscriber
Once Loveland PD, LCSO, and CSP go down, we're all gonna have to listen to county parks, school buses, city buses, animal control, and trash collection. We better start getting used to it now

scanlist

Parks, Public works, Street Department and City Buses in Greeley are already on the ENC DMR bandwagon.

It does appear Loveland is testing. It also confirms that all field radios have keys.

milcom_chaser

I'm using an old BC296D which doesn't mute encrypted comms like your new scanners do. So when an encrypted transmission comes over the air I hear the traffic. Again, all the new scanners that I know of just mute it. They may even skip and keep scanning upon receiving an encrypted transmission, I don't know.

It's an old beast, my first beast of a P25 capable scanner, but it suffices for my 24/7 monitoring needs.
RS Pro-668, Whistler 1080, etc., you can set them to not ignore encrypted. Have only heard a few Loveland PD coms encrypted.

Insulator

Let's hope that CSP don't go secret snoop. I enjoy listening to them better than any other LEA. They get out there when the weather is bad and help out stranded motorists. Kudos from me. Happily retired after 40 years

scanlist

There's still Boulder...

There is a possibility this may end.

There is no indication at this time whether they will or will not be in the clear once they get their E.F. Johnson/Kenwood 700 MHz Phase 2 simulcast system operational.

poltergeisty

Banned
It also confirms that all field radios have keys

I'm pretty sure all their radios had the keys for a very long time, it's just that they didn't go full blown encryption. On channel 5 it was all the time since that was were a SWAT OP occurred. Other than that, the other PD channels may be programmed for encryption as well. A lot of times officers will go to channel 2 for a chit chat. I don't monitor that channel, but it may or may not be in the clear in their radios. I'd have to listen.

Pretty ridiculous when they also have laptops in their cars and dispatch can give them "ultra secret stuff" if need be, etc. In fact, I'm thinking I'm missing some calls due to their laptop communications. But for the most part, I hear issuing citations and what have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.