Loveland PD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Just learned something. There was a high speed pursuit yesterday on I-25 involving CSP, LCSO and Loveland police. And Loveland PD officers were able to communicate on LCSO dispatch. That I did not know. I guess it's all about interoperability, right?

crazy88

Premium Subscriber
Yea that was an interesting man hunt in Centerra. I heard CSP 3A cars on LCSO dispatch, for a transmission or two. They were on the state NE MAC 7 for a short bit as well. The suspect ran from LCSO so I think 900 was the main dispatcher for the incident. Then they were trying to get Johnstown PD to help out, but I wasn’t scanning FRCC.

It makes sense that all local law enforcement in Larimer County would at least have the ability to switch over to the Larimer Channels. It also sounds like CSP 3C scans LCSO regularly, but don’t talk on that channel, if they do it’s extremely rare. Believe it or not, I’ve also heard Loveland Engine 6 call Denver on the CSP 3C channel for clarification on an accident location. They referred to themselves as “Engine 96”, I assume the 9 means they are an engine in Larimer County and 6 for the actual engine number.

poltergeisty

Banned
Believe it or not, I’ve also heard Loveland Engine 6 call Denver on the CSP 3C channel for clarification on an accident location. They referred to themselves as “Engine 96”, I assume the 9 means they are an engine in Larimer County and 6 for the actual engine number.

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I guess it makes since given P25 in Colorado and the fact Loveland Fire/EMS goes to I-25 a lot.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Just learned something. There was a high speed pursuit yesterday on I-25 involving CSP, LCSO and Loveland police. And Loveland PD officers were able to communicate on LCSO dispatch. That I did not know. I guess it's all about interoperability, right?
When most entry level P25 radios ship with a 512 channel capacity, they might as well program some surrounding agencies into it outside of their department defaults. Most agencies have agreements in place that allow their neighbors onto their talkgroups and dispatch centers can patch pretty much any talkgroup that they have access to on their consoles.

The ablity to interoperate is there, whether or not the folks out in the field knows how to navigate to those channels or patch the right channels together is a different matter.

crazy88

Premium Subscriber
Can't edit my post now. Where is Johnstown PD listed in the database?

FRCC listed under the Weld County frequencies page
1938792DWeld LE NorthNorth Dispatch Local Police Law Dispatch
1939793DWeld LE N RecordNorth Records Local Police Law Tac
194679aDWeld LE SouthSouth Dispatch Local Police Law Dispatch
1945799DWeld LE S RecordSouth Records Local Police Law Tac

Johnstown PD will be on TG 1946 and Windsor PD will be on TG 1938. I've only been scanning FRCC for a few days now, with the addition of the new site "Timnath" which is 4mi East of I-25 and 3/4mi north of Highway 14 and still has an address of Fort Collins. So far, it's been confusing, there are lots of numbers for all the police departments and lots of numbers for all the fire departments.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
Now why on earth was Loveland PD in Fort Collins making arrests? Isn't that ouside their jurisdiction?
In my experience, it's common practice for counties to deputize officers in their area, to facilitate operations involving more than one jurisdiction.

If a pursuit leaves Loveland, for instance, and terminates in Ft Collins, the Loveland officers would still have jurisdiction to make an arrest, by virtue of their county deputy status, without having to wait for Ft Collins or Larimer Co to arrive.

If a city officer assists a county deputy, he would have jurisdiction for anything that came up.

It can eliminate a lot of problems when the case goes to court, and the defense attorney wants to claim the officer did not have jurisdiction.

crazy88

Premium Subscriber
Loveland Police Dispatch (TG 4045) is completely silent tonight. My scanner is showing user ID’s but nothing is heard. Has it finally happened?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Loveland Police Dispatch (TG 4045) is completely silent tonight. My scanner is showing user ID’s but nothing is heard. Has it finally happened?

Think so, I can confirm that dispatchers were encrypted on the 18th. Loveland PD will not be the last to flip the switch over these next several months.

poltergeisty

Banned
Yeah, about a week ago now they were actively having all of their radios updated. Now since my scanner doesn't mute encrypted traffic I got constant garbed crap so I just locked the channel out and now monitor Fire/EMS, CSP and the sheriff dispatch.

Now you wanna hear something absolutely unreal? They are in fact using ADP! BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! So is Fort Collins and Estes Park. So good luck with that new "fancy" secret squirrel stuff. Unbelievable.

With their budget I guess it makes sense. Better than nothing I guess. But Fort Collins?! Strange...

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Anyone with connections to the Loveland Reporter-Hearald? Did the city cut a deal with the newspaper for access or did they get Denver'd.

crazy88

Premium Subscriber
Anyone with connections to the Loveland Reporter-Hearald? Did the city cut a deal with the newspaper for access or did they get Denver'd.

I wonder if the reporter herald even knows about this. I don’t think they’ve run an article about encryption recently. With lots of PD’s thinking that tweeting will fill the void, it’s worth noting that the last tweet by Loveland PD was on September 11, 2019.

On a side note, What else are Loveland/Fort Collins members scanning besides fire, ems, CSP?

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
So is it offical that Loveland PD went full encrypt now? What about Loveland FD, will they be following the PD?

poltergeisty

Banned

I was in connection with a well known Reporter Herald writer on Facebook who's name I won't mention here, but I have since ditched Facebook about three years ago. From time to time if there was something real major going down I'd mention it on the Neighbors App for my Ring doorbell and I think this reporter is on there because they said that they worked for the paper. I think I'll send an email and ask. I'm very curios myself.

But now that I think of it. What about the Coloradoan? Not just when Fort Collins went encrypted all those years ago, but also now that Loveland PD is encrypted. You now have two front range towns that are secret squirrel and that isn't really good for transparency. On the other hand. I was hearing things from dispatch that were never mentioned in the paper.

This really is a shame that they decided to go full blown encrypted. Never mind the fact they all have laptops, smartphones, and pagers. As it was channels 5 and 6 were already set for encryption. If there was a SWAT operation that would be on channel 5 for the most part and thus encrypted. To go ahead an encrypt the whole thing speaks volumes by either the chief of police or Loveland's mayor who I WILL be voting out. I've been monitoring LPD for some 24 years ever sense high school when they were VHF and in fact their repeater output frequency was the same frequency for a Marine radio channel. So all you needed was a Marine radio. It was in fact my second radio to hear LPD all those years ago. Now it's like saying we protect and serve but here's a cone of diarrhea covered cotton candy.

In lieu of the forum rules, I yield back the balance of my time.

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure all their radios had the keys for a very long time, it's just that they didn't go full blown encryption. On channel 5 it was all the time since that was were a SWAT OP occurred. Other than that, the other PD channels may be programmed for encryption as well. A lot of times officers will go to channel 2 for a chit chat. I don't monitor that channel, but it may or may not be in the clear in their radios. I'd have to listen.

Pretty ridiculous when they also have laptops in their cars and dispatch can give them "ultra secret stuff" if need be, etc. In fact, I'm thinking I'm missing some calls due to their laptop communications. But for the most part, I hear issuing citations and what have you.
Loveland PD has been using encrypt on Channel 1, 2, 3 & 5 that I have heard , haven't heard anything on 4 or 6 yet. 6 was used for events going on in town and not sure what 4 was used for.

Status
Not open for further replies.