Low Band & Business Searches

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8HDU

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong in the query, but for business radio users in Allen County OH I'm clicking...

Browse -> Ohio (map) -> Click on Allen County (map) -> Business/Business Group -> and then nothing can be found. I also noted in the Conventional Database there is no Low Band at all for either Public Safety, Fire, or Business.

It shows "Last Updated: December 28, 2014, 10:32 am" so is it possible this data base doesn't exist, or is not linked?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I also noted in the Conventional Database there is no Low Band at all for either Public Safety, Fire, or Business.
What specific agencies are you looking for but can't find? Your county's emergency services are on Ohio MARCS. As for businesses ( you didn't provide specifics) have you tried Common or Itinerant frequencies? Not very many business users on low band these days. Most have moved to VHF/UHF or higher. Keep in mind the Radioreference database relies on user submissions to stay up to date so if the info you're looking for doesn't appear it may not have been discovered yet or are maybe under a different licensee (leasing from a rental shop, etc). Many possibilities but specific info you're looking for might help us help you

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The empty Business agency page should really be deleted.

As for public safety low band, all of the FCC licenses were canceled years ago. Likewise, all business low band licenses are expired, canceled, or were terminated.

Last edited:

W8HDU

What specific agencies are you looking for but can't find? Keep in mind the Radioreference database relies on user submissions to stay up to date...

Perhaps that's the answer, user submissions. I was thinking the Radio Reference database had some link to the F.C.C.s database. I just found it odd that while on vacation I had my spectrum analyzer on and when I got back there were hits shown, yet no nothing really shows in the region.

Also, if the licenses was valid, I would think it would be in the database. The company I work for has (2) LB licenses, and I have one was well. None show up, but they are listed in the F.C.C. LMS.

I wonder if there is a way on the F.C.C. database to search 25.000 to 49.995 and get a list.

The empty Business agency page should really be deleted.

I was not seeing any listings for businesses or schools in the area, although I know they do have the equipment and licenses. Unless, (tin foil hat time), everyone let their licenses run out and they just continue to use the frequencies.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if there is a way on the F.C.C. database to search 25.000 to 49.995 and get a list.
Again it would help to know specifically what company you're asking about but feel free to do an FCC ULS range search (Choose Service Group: Part 90, then choose State, then scroll down to Frequencies. Choose "Range" and input your frequency range. Further you could try a geosearch and narrow the results down further by proximity. Or if you have a scanner with "close call" you could try running it when you're at work to see if you get any hits

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I was thinking the Radio Reference database had some link to the F.C.C.s database...Also, if the licenses was valid, I would think it would be in the database.
That's not how the RR DB works. The DB is intended to be a repository of validated information, not just a regurgitation of FCC license records. If a frequency or system has been verified by a user, then it's a candidate for the RR DB. If it's in the FCC records, but not verified, then it probably won't go into the RR DB.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Nevermind... I misread the post and assumed he meant all low band public safety licenses were canceled nationwide. duh.

W8HDU

Again it would help to know specifically what company you're asking about but feel free to do an FCC ULS range search (Choose Service Group: Part 90, then choose State, then scroll down to Frequencies. Choose "Range" and input your frequency range.

I'm not looking for a company as much as looking for targets to program in to monitor in the business service and itinerant services. Frequencies such as 27.490, 29.710, 29.730, 29.750, 29.770, 29.790, etc.

I've heard a few transmissions pop up on skip, as well as a few transmissions in the 30 MHz portion from various users. Using a pair of 10-meter 3-element beams in H-pol, I've been snooping around. Having access to a database which can parse out states and sort users by frequency would be helpful.

As a sidenote ... McDonalds sure has a lot of transmitters in the 30 - 31 MHz region!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Having access to a database which can parse out states and sort users by frequency would be helpful.
Due to the fact that the RR database relies on user submissions to stay up to date, why not submit updates for what you can confirm? Be sure to search yours and surrounding states first to make sure entries don't already exist. Or for what you can't confirm for sure perhaps you can start a wiki page to take notes for low band activity in your area?

W8HDU

Due to the fact that the RR database relies on user submissions to stay up to date, why not submit updates for what you can confirm?

I have no problem reporting what I hear.

I find it interesting there are still more than a few licenses in Michigan and Ohio on 27.4900, some with multiple emission designations.

nd5y

I find it interesting there are still more than a few licenses in Michigan and Ohio on 27.4900, some with multiple emission designations.
Some of those could be fake. You need to look carefully at the licenses or applications and see if it looks legit.

Sometimes there are "groups" or "individuals" that license all possible itinerant frequencies with lots of emission designators.

Sometimes licenses have leftovers from decades ago that were not removed when equipment was replaced. When the licensee upgrades thier current real systems a pencil pusher will narrowband and add digital emissions to low band frequencies that haven't been used in decades.

W8HDU

@nd5y ... True, and I wonder how many transmission on 27.49 might be freebanders instead of legitimate users.

The company I work for uses a couple channels in the 26 MHz band, and occasionally we will receive AM or SSB transmission. Almost all the time it's freebanders. About a third is Spanish transmissions.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
As for public safety low band, all of the FCC licenses were canceled years ago.

Incorrect. We still have low-band licenses, and there are several others around the state of Ohio. Still in use too, at least for fire paging. They may have been cancelled in your area by somebody, but not around here.

The low-band frequencies are still shown as valid in Part 90 and to the best of my knowledge, there's no reason an entity couldn't use low-band if they wished to do so. Sometimes I wish there were more of it still out there.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Incorrect. We still have low-band licenses, and there are several others around the state of Ohio. Still in use too, at least for fire paging. They may have been cancelled in your area by somebody, but not around here.

The low-band frequencies are still shown as valid in Part 90 and to the best of my knowledge, there's no reason an entity couldn't use low-band if they wished to do so. Sometimes I wish there were more of it still out there.
Err...I was specifically referring to Allen County, which is what the OP was asking about. You can't honestly believe that I would be referring to ALL public safety low band licenses statewide or nationwide...right? 🤦‍♂️

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Since apparently at least two people in this thread were confused by my earlier post, I guess I should clarify. My post was made in the context of the question the OP asked, which was specifically about Allen County, Ohio. I was pointing out that all low band licenses, both public safety and business in that county, had been canceled or were left to expire. No, I did not mean all low band across the globe was killed off.

And before someone points out that there are still some active licenses in Allen County between 72-76 MHz, a) that's generally referred to as the VHF mid-band, not VHF low-band b) those frequencies are normally reserved for data/telemetry, not voice.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Err...I was specifically referring to Allen County, which is what the OP was asking about. You can't honestly believe that I would be referring to ALL public safety low band licenses statewide or nationwide...right? 🤦‍♂️

But the way it was phrased made it sound as if that were the implication..... :D No worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.