Low Band Californian Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterpaul71

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I'm a scanner skip enthusiast living here in the north of Ireland and I'm looking for low band frequencies from CA to target when atmospheric conditions are favourable.

Seems the southern part of the state comes in well here when conditions allow.

Can anyone post some low band freqs with confirmed PL tones that might be of use? Maybe business or utility freqs. The CHP ones are well known over here and the database here has a few low band entries but theres a lot missing.

Anyone got frequencies for the water services in Southern Cal on 37 mhz? I have heard one of these on 37.86 with a tone of D712.

Any info at all would be helpful - if its a loud, busy channel particularly.

Yesterday brought the following receptions here:

39.400 C162.2 17:02:46 WPHM445, San Diego, CA, CHP Traffic 05/03/2014

39.220 C192.8 17:10:43 KMA801, South Los Angeles, CA, CHP Traffic 05/03/2014

31.140 C123.0 17:10:05 KMA672, San Francisco, CA, Municipal Rail Traffic 05/03/2014 (in and out until after 1900 local)

Recording here:

https://app.box.com/s/yky4a9derexeh1wkehye

39.360 C162.2 17:26:34 WPPD852, San Juan Capistrano, CA, CHP Traffic 05/03/2014

39.140 C162.2 17:27:25 WPGX917, Southern CA, CHP, Traffic 05/03/2014

39.400 C186.2 17:28:39 KTN273, Santa Fe Springs, CA, CHP Traffic 05/03/2014

39.680 C118.8 17:29:18 KDG272, Riverside, CA, CHP Traffic 05/03/2014

39.520 C173.8 17:36:40 WPYP239, Orange County, CA, CHP Traffic 05/03/2014

Any info would be very gratefully received

Paul Logan
Lisnaskea, Ireland

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
The other big low band user in California is CalTrans, which is our state roads department. Unfortunately, they don't use PL or DPL, just carrier squelch. No repeaters, but high level remote bases with lots of power in the 47MHz range. Probably won't get the range of the lower frequency CHP, but it's worth a shot.

Note: In my experience, traffic on the CalTrans frequencies is very sparse, so it might take a while to hear something.

oracavon

Paul, here some updates for you:

39.14 is a regional CHP channel (called BLUE 1) normally used for special operations or coordination between multiple CHP offices. However, lately it is being used as the dispatch channel for Oceanside CHP (office 92) and Temecula CHP (office 115).

39.52 isn't a CHP channel. It belongs to the Orange County Transportation Authority, which is responsible for regional transportation services. For example, it operates the local bus service. This particular channel (39.52) is used for the Freeway Service Patrol, a fleet of tow trucks which provide emergency motorist assistance service on the freeways (free of charge, incidentally - it is paid by local transportation taxes). The Freeway Service Patrol coordinates closely with the CHP, but it is not a part of the CHP. The other FSP channel in this area is 39.86.

Several of the Southern California CHP channels are on 44 Mhz and 45 Mhz frequencies. Not sure if you can catch those, but it would be worth a listen.

BirkenVogt

Most of the active businesses have moved off low band to UHF or VHF or some kinds of trunking a long time ago.

A few rural fire departments still use it, but not many.

Most of them are up in the 47 MHz range, which I don't think is likely to skip over there, but it happens.

Stephen

Paul, I was reading some information about the CHP radio system, and I know they used to have a lot of interference from Missouri Highway Patrol, due to the low band skip as well as the fact that Missouri has FCC exemptions that allow them to run very high power out of their base transmitters. I wonder if you might be able to pick up anything from there channels, though on the down side I know they are running more of the 40mhz spectrum. Just a thought, I am impressed with what you are picking up that is some of the interesting parts of operating a low band system.

misterpaul71

Premium Subscriber
Hey Kirk, Oracavon, BV, thanks for all the replies and excellent information.

So I guess like everywhere else Low Band is being dropped in favour of VHF- Hi or UHF. It's a pity but understandable. The MUF seems parked around 40 mhz at the moment so hearing anything above that isn't happening. I heard the CHP many times on 39 and 42 mhz back around 2000 - sometimes at huge signal level. I remember hearing Hayward CHP on 42 mhz at full bars on a handheld yupiteru scanner one afternoon. The current solar cycle just isnt matching up.

Stephen I used to hear the Missouri HP a lot in 1999 - 2001. Heard only once during this solar cycle in 2011: Heres a recording of that reception: 42.82 Missouri Highway Patrol, Macon reception in Ireland - November 15th 2011 - YouTube

Also heres a note they sent me back in 2001, they obviously heard from other people too !

"> Hi Paul, Thanks for your report. Apparently we are doing a pretty
good
> job propagating to Europe this winter. While we don't do QSL cards,
if
you
> are a ham and would like written verification of your DX, send me a
> narrative of what you heard, who you think it was from and timings
and I
> will try to find a report to match your information. The best things
to
> report are matters that do not contain personal information. Traffic
stops
> have too much personal data to filter that it leaves nothing to send
you.
A
> report of a stranded vehicle (10-46) or a traffic accident (10-50)
would
> do nicely...if you are interested.
>
>
> James C. Biggerstaff
> Director of Communications
> Missouri State Highway Patrol"

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
Years ago (1980's) I was getting the Florida HP & California HP with 2 way skip...they were interfering with each other, driving dispatchers nuts in both locations...42.08mhz (CHP Silver Net base - Marin County)...I was parked eating lunch in Marin County.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
45.42 with pL 136.5 is the CHP's pursuit frequency. Once a unit is chasing a suspect, they often switch to this frequency in Los Angeles, and broadcast the pursuit information.

oracavon

45.42 with pL 136.5 is the CHP's pursuit frequency. Once a unit is chasing a suspect, they often switch to this frequency in Los Angeles, and broadcast the pursuit information.

Actually, it's not a designated "pursuit frequency". It's their standard secondary/shared frequency "BLUE 2". It's used for broadcasting sigalerts, units guarding dignitaries, and coordinating events involving more than one CHP office. They will frequently (but not always) use it for pursuits if the pursuits involve more than one CHP office.

Status
Not open for further replies.