Low band radios in-800 out for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The following are some emails between me and a spokesman for District 4 of Penn Dot.
====================================
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 3:44 PM
To: Dussinger, Karen C
Subject: RADIO SYSTEM

Karen:

When you get a chance can you confirm the following information?
As you may know Pa is deploying a new 800 Mhz two way radio system. It's my understanding that the new radios have been in use by Penn Dot. Recently the "old" radios the new system replaced are being reinstalled in Penn Dot units. I need to know why thats being done. Some Penn Dot employees there are reception problems with the new system.
Best regards,

Bob Reynolds

----- Original Message -----
To: bob reynolds
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 7:33 AM
Subject: RE: RADIO SYSTEM

Bob, I sent it to you last week (Friday, I think.). Here is what I sent:

PennDOT began deploying the statewide 800 MHz public safety radio system in the fall of 2003 and currently has more than 3,400 employees using the system in 43 counties throughout Pennsylvania. We have successfully implemented the 800 MHz system in most of our engineering districts throughout the state. Response where the system has adequate coverage has been excellent.

Due to recent reports by field staff that radio communications is difficult in the more rural areas of the state, PennDOT has decided to temporarily re-install its low-band radios in Wyoming, Pike and Susquehanna Counties in Engineering District 4-0. PennDOT continues to work with the office of Public-Safety Radio Services to expand radio coverage in these rural areas. In the interim, the installation is necessary as a backup to ensure adequate communication for our workforce and to ensure effective operations.

Karen Dussinger
Community Relations Coordinator
PennDOT, District 4
----- Original Message -----
To: Bob Reynolds
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:36 AM
Subject: RE: RADIO SYSTEM

Sorry, Bob. Just got #s this morning.

District 4’s costs were $123,700.84.

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
As if the project wasn't overbudget enough already. Everybody is quick to air their complaints when Motorola doesn't keep their promises. It's about time the state starts telling MA/Com to keep their's.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In All Fairness To Ma/com

I don't believe the radio manufacturer, Ma/Com is at fault. It was some bureaucrat who probably does not know a volume control from coax.
Here is an email from someone who has access to the goings on within the Pa system:
-----------------------
Don't blame the system. This is a case of where people don't know what they are doing. It is not the frequency, trees in bloom or anything like that. There is nothing for the radios to talk to. To make a long story short, people making decisions, should not be making them.

The biggest problem of this system is, the state itself. There are people that don't have a clue of what they are doing. Don't know who, but, the decision was made to yank all the low band radios. No thought was given to the fact, that nothing was built out. Wyoming county has just has one low profile built. Not enough to make a dent in coverage.

If the state gave up on trying to manage a project where there is little if any, qualified people, this system would have been turned up and running. Where the build out is complete, it is quite impressive. Fortunately, that is all changing. Individuals are now being put in places they need to be.

You can't have a bunch of political hacks doing radio. It don't work. PennDot is a shining example. If the hacks were kept in positions of where they could just steal money and free ink pens, this would have not happened. The cost over runs were not of the technical issue. If things went according to plan and also having Applebee out of the picture, making the most insane decisions that I have seen, this would all have been a done deal.

The real thing would be is to find out, who put who in places, where they should have not been placed. Go after them, not the system. Who also bought off on such technical bull***** should be held accountable. Not MA/COM. The system engineering was more than adequate. The MA/COM products are good. They do what they were designed to do. The coverage, built to spec, works well. Who is left. The political system. Now you and I know, the hacks will cover their asses. So if the design is good, the products are good, who is to blame?????????????
Let's see how long it takes until they put a knife against their throats.

So there you have it. So as usual, I did not say this, but, someone had to say something.

Trust me when I say this, where the dummies and crooks were kept out of the system, it plays. It plays real well. I had my doubts, at first. When I got deeper into it all, the problems were obvious. Not the system, the radios PEOPLE.

Your tax dollars at work.

Avenger44

Penn Dot is useing the 800 Radios in District 6 . I hear them on my OpenSky Radio That I have to Monitor with .

Steve.

RedBaron27

Avenger44 said:
Penn Dot is useing the 800 Radios in District 6 . I hear them on my OpenSky Radio That I have to Monitor with .

Steve.

Steve -- and you are issued that radio by PennDOT? You must work for them, no?

Hmmmmmmm... how much info are you NOT sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.