• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Low Band Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
Does any company still make a low band(45-46mhz for my use case) repeater today? I currently have a daniels/codan repeater that is on its last legs, and before I start down the road of trying to move the system to voted VHF high band or something similar I wanted to see if anyone makes a reputable low band repeater today. Not looking for two mobiles duct taped together with a RIC, this needs to be professional/public safety grade gear.

I know Daniels/Codan and Midland both stopped making them years ago, I have yet to come across any manufacturer still producing them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

prcguy

There are a lot of older but really good repeaters around. I recently sold a GE Master II VHF Lo repeater that was new old stock that I bought for a 6m project that never happened. Tune up that repeater on your frequency and it will be running long after we are dead.

lenk911

Ahh Low band. Cut my teeth on it in the 50's and 60's. On a good day you can talk forever. 100 watts+100 feet = 100 miles! Other days you can't talk at all! In the summer you are entertained by the shrimp boats in the Caribbean even more fun if you know Spanish. On bad noise days, you cannot shut the repeater off-just let it time out! No narrow banding required and a Mastr II is a great choice! Have fun!

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
This is the only one I know of. I've quoted two for customer but nobody has bitten yet. It's not cheap but looks like a fantastic product. He claims to be supplying to Kenwood and CHP.

Comtronix Communications--their website is no longer functioning but I can provide the owners email/phone number upon request. He's a great guy.

The attached PDF had to be reduced in size and grayscaled in order to meet attachment sizing.

Attachments

• LBR100.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 119

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kenwood stopped producing the TK-690 low band radio a year or two back, so ended their TKB-690 base station/repeater.

I keep waiting for someone to roll out something new. With many repeaters using a card cage type layout, building a low band capable card for RX, TX and amplifier to fit in exiting racks wouldn't be hard.

There was a company at IWCE a few years back who had a new low band repeater, but I don't recall their name, and I haven't been able to find any info on them.

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
Thanks All, I will be reaching out to comtronix to see what their pricing looks like!

WB9YBM

Does any company still make a low band(45-46mhz for my use case) repeater today? I currently have a daniels/codan repeater that is on its last legs, and before I start down the road of trying to move the system to voted VHF high band or something similar I wanted to see if anyone makes a reputable low band repeater today. Not looking for two mobiles duct taped together with a RIC, this needs to be professional/public safety grade gear.

I know Daniels/Codan and Midland both stopped making them years ago, I have yet to come across any manufacturer still producing them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I know that there are services that are "grandfathered" in the low-band service (like a taxicab I used to dispatch for--they operated around 38 MHz) and it would seem reasonable that someone somewhere is still supporting that stuff...

techman210

There are rumors that Kenwood is going to come out for something for CHP in the next few months based on the design of their new mobile rigs. It will also accommodate an external frequency reference input for the CHP sites that are simulcast repeat. Don't know if it will be special for just CHP or part of their commercial product line.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are rumors that Kenwood is going to come out for something for CHP in the next few months based on the design of their new mobile rigs. It will also accommodate an external frequency reference input for the CHP sites that are simulcast repeat. Don't know if it will be special for just CHP or part of their commercial product line.

That makes some sense. The TKB-690 was essentially this. Replacing the TK-690 guts with an NX-5600 and an external amp/controller wouldn't be hard to do. External frequency reference using a GPS based source would be easy.

freddaniel

I would look at the Spectra Engineering MX800 radios. In years past, I have purchased close to 100 and was pleased with them. They were sold in the USA by Motorola as the MXD1500 line. They are sold throughout the world and made in Australia.

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
Ahh Low band. Cut my teeth on it in the 50's and 60's. On a good day you can talk forever. 100 watts+100 feet = 100 miles! Other days you can't talk at all! In the summer you are entertained by the shrimp boats in the Caribbean even more fun if you know Spanish. On bad noise days, you cannot shut the repeater off-just let it time out! No narrow banding required and a Mastr II is a great choice! Have fun!

Since I see you are out of St. Paul, was there much lowband activity in Minnesota during the 50's and 60's? What about 6 meter activity locally back in those days (band is mostly dead nowadays locally)? Other than the Highway Patrol, it seems like most state agencies had vacated low band by the early 70's, if they had even been on lowband to start with.

The 100 watts @ 100 feet = 100 miles rule of thumb...Think that would be achievable on a well engineered VHF Highband base station/repeater or was this only a standard attributed for lowband stations? Are Carribean shrimp boats still using low band or was that a reference to a by-gone era?

WB9YBM

The 100 watts @ 100 feet = 100 miles rule of thumb...Think that would be achievable on a well engineered VHF Highband base station/repeater or was this only a standard attributed for lowband stations? Are Carribean shrimp boats still using low band or was that a reference to a by-gone era?

Reminds me of a story I heard from an old engineer (since retired) at Motorola: they were doing some experimenting with new equipment at the very high frequency of 35MHz (I guess it was top band back in those days) and during one of their experiments (here in the Chicago area) they were interrupted by a PD in California, asking what they were up to. Wish I could've heard that exchange!

TELCO1

Ohhhh Low Band , Where I Started 43.000 & 42.960 Skip Ohhh Yeah , Ants. full 1/4 Wave , Talked all over , Kenwood Has NEW Lowband Mobiles , 110 Watts , Only about $3000.00 Ea. Hi-Split ONLY 39 to 50 Mhz. , Has anyone got one that goes to 54 Mhz 6 Meter ?? , Soon Low Band Trunking Portables !, Ohhh Yeah !

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
With the lack of FM activity on 6m in most areas and the number of all-mode HF rigs with 6m I doubt many will be clamoring for a new FM only $3K radio that would still need to be modified to reach 6m, if that's even possible. I suppose the California Highway Patrol is the primary customer for this model since they have channels from 39 up to the 45 MHz range I believe.

TELCO1

Yes Calif. H P , is the Reason Kenwood is making it , From what I heard ! , And what do they use for Repeaters ??? , The Kenwood Low Band also will Do DIGITAL NXDN ??? Hummm !

Status
Not open for further replies.