Low band skip ID help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikext

I'm receiving Low Band skip 46.060 pl 151.4 fire traffic heard but unble to ID it. Help!! I'm in Southeast Va.

RayAir

Listen to it or record it, then listen for street names, call signs, names of towns, cities, counties. If you can get a city or a county, Google the name with the frequency. Example- 39.980 Custer County. This is the only way. You can get a general idea of where it is coming from if they give a time (time zone) or if they have an accent (NY/NJ). So get a pen and paper and get ready to start writing what you hear then Google it!

tmfok7

If you can pick up a Call Sign, then go to this web-site http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports/engineering_search.cfm?accessible=NO ,and put the frequency in and see if you can locate what you are listening to that way. Just looking thru the list of users for that frequency, there are a bunch of Fire Companies listed in PA, IL, OH, NY, SC, WV, VA and other locals way west of you. Good luck... I know how cool that is to hear something like that and want to know where it is coming from. Had something like that happen to me years ago when I was a volunteer firefighter. We had Minitor voice pagers and I had mine in "Open" mode one night and heard a fire dispatch acknowledging a truck back in quarters. Unfortunately, I didn't get enough of the call sign to make a definite ID on where it was coming from. And this was in VHF Hi band! Extrordinary conditions at the time!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.