BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Low band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneg

So does anyone use the 436 on low band and 155Mhz bands? If so how does it go?

Whenever I get mine it'll start out on low band and in the 155's until we switch over to P25.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I live in Putnam County, New York. VHF Low does quite well on both the 436 and the 536. It's all in the antenna. I use a Spectra in the car and a Diamond on the portable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
When I was at HRO this morning the guy told me that his scanner expert was able to enter lw band frequencies from PA into his 436 in AZ and pick up transmissions. That is cool.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I had my 436 searching low band in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies a few weeks ago, tied to an Austin Spectra vehicle-mounted antenna, and was getting fire dispatch in some counties just north of New York City.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I had my 436 searching low band in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies a few weeks ago, tied to an Austin Spectra vehicle-mounted antenna, and was getting fire dispatch in some counties just north of New York City.

FYI 46.26 would be Westchester, 46.36 would be Dutchess and 46.38 would be Putnam.

misterpaul71

Some of those PA (and NY) Low band fire freqs blast in here in Ireland at the moment.

33.48 Ulster County NY and 33.7 Cattaraugus County NY are the most easily heard ones off the top of my head. Westchester County NY comes in on 33.96 too.

Lancaster County PA comes in at shocking levels on 33 mhz some days.

There are a bunch of Hispanic taxi freqs in Brooklyn NY around 30 - 31 mhz. They sound like locals here at times.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Low band VHF can really come in over great distances and this can create problems.

Do any of you remember when Canada RMP asked the Missouri HP (several freqs. on the 42.00 range) to change if possible as they were interfering with their communications while the Queen of England was visiting?

When I lived south of Kansas City MO I used to listen to the LA Fire Department all the time via low band VHF on my scanner.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Ohio. When CA Hiway Patrol used some of the same low band as Ohio and the band was up, it was useless for local.

Still have issues with some Mexican station on Low - Fire. Most of the old low band has gone the way of the 6 lb cell phone.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Where I live I'm surrounded by low band fire dispatch.

SOME use PL tones, so I enter PL lockouts on my local FD low band channels. This way my scanner won't break squelch when a fairly distant community comes on the air. Of course this only allows you to lock out one tone - if there are other tones in use in neighboring towns then there's no way to lock them out. What I do is just lock out the one that I pick up the most and hope for the best.

daneg

It was Cattaraugus and Westchester that I received, and Lancaster PA actually. And I got misterpaul's 97,000 "car service" channels too.

My log is at this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/sk...-calgary-ab-can-2014-03-09-a.html#post2152677

Some of those PA (and NY) Low band fire freqs blast in here in Ireland at the moment.

33.48 Ulster County NY and 33.7 Cattaraugus County NY are the most easily heard ones off the top of my head. Westchester County NY comes in on 33.96 too.

Lancaster County PA comes in at shocking levels on 33 mhz some days.

There are a bunch of Hispanic taxi freqs in Brooklyn NY around 30 - 31 mhz. They sound like locals here at times.

Wow that's insane. As for the Spanish stuff on 33mhz, mainly 33.72 we were told they were/are fishing boats somewhere in the gulf. They get annoying on the radio when you're trying to use it.

mciupa

Do any of you remember when Canada RMP asked the Missouri HP (several freqs. on the 42.00 range) to change if possible as they were interfering with their communications while the Queen of England was visiting?

It wasn't RCMP, it would be OPP for Province of Ontario (OPP are like State Troopers). They were on 42.06 which is the same as Springfield's freq. You must have heard this in the 80's or early '90's

Stephen

Missouri Highway Patrol seems to be the bad guy on Low Band, as a recent report from the California Highway Patrol, that is available on google that discusses their radio system and how they are making improvements repeatedly states how several districts receive Missouri HP interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.