Low cost dedicated scanner for Scannercast w/alphatags?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a scanner to be a dedicated broadcaster, but I do not know the lowest cost scanner I can use for this.

This can be a base or handheld that can broadcast Alpha Tags with Scannercast.

Could somebody provide a list positively will broadcast tags with SC?

Model and rough price, On Scannercasts site most all scanners listes are around $500, thats way to much for a dedicated broadcast scanner.

This may be a question for Peter.

Thanks
Greg V

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you read this article...

ScannerCast Setup Instructions - The RadioReference Wiki

You must choose the scanner that will be able to receive your desired system, not just one that has alpha tags. IF the system you wish to stream is a Moto Analog type, EDACS (not Open Sky or ProVoice, neither of which is decodable), or is all conventional with no P25 usage, either a BCT15 or BCT15X can be had for well under USD500.

73 Mike

Last edited:
If you read this article...

ScannerCast Setup Instructions - The RadioReference Wiki

You must choose the scanner that will be able to receive your desired system, not just one that has alpha tags. IF the system you wish to stream is a Moto Analog type, EDACS (not Open Sky or ProVoice, neither of which is decodable), or is all conventional with no P25 usage, either a BCT15 or BCT15X can be had for well under USD500.

73 Mike

I did read that article, I am a newbie to all of this stuff, I don't have 9500 posts, so I don't know about any of the stuff you just posted. I am just looking for a scanner to that will broadcast tags police, fire, ems. I have a Pro-107, once I have a model # that I can do this with I can search for a used one.

I do not know what is being broadcasted, or how

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I live in the Janesville, Rock County WI area
Well I'd assume you want to broadcast stuff from the area you live? And that would be something from here.

I don't see anything trunked there, so it appears you can get by with conventional scanning only. But from what I can see on the ScannerCast config page, only the expensive digital scanners are supported with alpha tags. Perhaps Peter, the author of ScannerCast, can chime in here.

Well I'd assume you want to broadcast stuff from the area you live? And that would be something from here.

I don't see anything trunked there, so it appears you can get by with conventional scanning only. But from what I can see on the ScannerCast config page, only the expensive digital scanners are supported with alpha tags. Perhaps Peter, the author of ScannerCast, can chime in here.

Thanks, you would think peter would maybe programm for a low cost scanner, but the banner ads are only for expensive models.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It is not entirely Peter's fault. The GRE models, except the PSR-500/PSR-600 do not supply alpha tag information from the serial port. In other words, not possible with something like a PSR-300. If there is a scanner that can do this, it will be Uniden. They support their remote panels and control software on a PC. That data stream would need to be decoded and used for what you want.

I agree though that it would be nice to use a less expensive scanner and stream alpha tags. Personally, I'd rather see separate streams for each agency and then no tag is needed.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The BCT15 and 15x are not all that expensive, and support alpha tags and are on the list of supported SC scanners. They certainly aren't USD500, and I would imagine the BCT15 could be had for a whole lot less on the used market. Neither of these scanners support P25, though, so that could be a consideration. For example, these scanners won't handle WISCOM, from the link gmclam gave. 73 Mike

Last edited:
The BCT15 and 15x are not all that expensive, and support alpha tags and are on the list of supported SC scanners. They certainly aren't USD500, and I would imagine the BCT15 could be had for a whole lot less on the used market. Neither of these scanners support P25, though, so that could be a consideration 73 Mike

Do these models require programming software to be bought?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This bears repeating - neither of these scanners will decode digital, so in this case, WISCOM could not be copied. That requires a digital scanner, and unfortunately, they can be quite expensive

73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually FreeScan is way better - it supports rebanding, the new SOAP web based RR import, all the new firmware fixes and all the XT models - BCTool doesn't. The author of that software seems to have fallen off the map....we're getting a little OT here, though...73 Mike

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Do these models require programming software to be bought?

1. Determine what model scanner will monitor the desired services and work with ScannerCast
  2. Procure a computer with suitable sound card hardware
  3. Procure an Uninterruptible Power Supply for trouble-free operation
  4. Buy the scanner
  5. Buy the appropriate antenna, feed line, and connectors or adapters
  6. Program the scanner with included or custom software program
  7. Check that the scanner receives all the desired signals
  8. Connect the scanner to the computer following the instructions in the wiki on this site
  9. Adjust the audio level locally
  10. Test the audio level and channel tag operation by listening to your own feed and fine tune it

There's a lot to do to set up a good feed, meaning a feed that will attract listeners and therefore make it worth your while. It aint plug-and-play by a long shot. The good news is that once you have put in the many hours properly setting up your system you will rarely have to touch it and you will be smarter for it. Who knows how that knowledge will help you one day?

I would stick with the Uniden line of scanners supported by ScannerCast, because they are good scanners and it's a good program. By the way, the guy who wrote ScannerCast did not set out to make it his life's quest, so we should be happy that it works as well as it does for the relatively few scanners that it supports.

He has stated in other threads here not to hold our breath for expanded support for older models.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Thanks, you would think peter would maybe programm for a low cost scanner, but the banner ads are only for expensive models.

Banner ads? I fail to see any connection between ScannerCast, which is a FREE program hosted on Peter's personal website that features no advertising...and any 'banner ads for expensive models' that you speak of. Care to clarify? :confused:

PeterGV

K1PGV

Ouch! (That's the sound of me biting my tongue.)

Well, let me set you straight: I don't work for RR. I don't get compensated from the banner ads on RR.

I first wrote ScannerCast for my own personal use to work with the BC396t -- because that's the scanner I owned that could be computer controlled.

I figured people might enjoy the program... so I decided to let other people use it for free.

I added support for the PSR-500 because this was another digital capable scanner that I could use in my area (where if you can't decode P25, you can't listen to much). I bought that scanner with my own money and for no reason other than to add support for it to ScannerCast.

If you'd like to buy me some other model of computer controlled scanner, I'd be happy to consider adding it.

Otherwise, as I've mentioned previously numerous times, there'll be more scanner models supported in ScannerCast V2.0 -- I don't know what they'll be yet, or how I'll test them, but more models will be supported.

Peter
K1PGV

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
...Otherwise, as I've mentioned previously numerous times, there'll be more scanner models supported in ScannerCast V2.0 -- I don't know what they'll be yet, or how I'll test them, but more models will be supported.

Peter
K1PGV

Wouldn't it be a time-saver to build an "event adapter" module for ScannerCast like SimpleCast has to take channel tags from Talkgroup Monitor?

That opens up the door immediately to some older Uniden scanners. If somebody wants to tackle other scanner makes and models they can write a similar application that sends the channel tags to ScannerCast.

soncorn

I know my ~$200 346XT passes tags on fine to scannercast.

If you want digital you are stuck with a $500 new scanner or about a $350 used scanner.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Wouldn't it be a time-saver to build an "event adapter" module for ScannerCast like SimpleCast has to take channel tags from Talkgroup Monitor?

Weeeeeellllll... yes. It would be an initial time-saver for me at least. But getting TalkGroup Monitor working isn't simple for many folks, and the synchronization between audio and tags isn't that good. So, while supporting TalkGroup Monitor or "take the tags from this Window title" kind of solution would allow me to point people to those methods to take the pressure off requests for "can you support such-and-such a scanner", I'm not sure they (or I) would be very pleased with the results.

If a lot of folks think this sort of solution would be welcome, I would certainly consider implementing it. So, let me hear what you think!

my ~$200 346XT passes tags on fine to scannercast

It DOES?! Well, THANK YOU soncorn for calling this to my attention!! That's great! In fact (ahem...) I hadn't even heard of the 346XT until right now (OK, I'm embarrassed... clearly I need to get out more).

I just checked the 346xt manual, and yup... it will work with ScannerCast.

It's also worthy of note that ScannerCast supports the BCT-15...

Peter
K1PGV

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Weeeeeellllll... yes. It would be an initial time-saver for me at least. But getting TalkGroup Monitor working isn't simple for many folks, and the synchronization between audio and tags isn't that good. ...

If a lot of folks think this sort of solution would be welcome, I would certainly consider implementing it. So, let me hear what you think!

I'm thinking of those who were already using Talkgroup Monitor for Oddcast or SimpleCast and complained that they couldn't use it on ScannerCast, so their older scanners were essentially 'locked out'. I'm raising my hand with that group.

There's nothing to stop other enterprising individuals from writing a connector similar to TGM that works with other scanners that need the support. If there are no others, then I agree it would be pointless when you could just spend the time working on direct support for one or two scanners right in ScannerCast.

It's your call, of course. I appreciate all that you've done.

Status
Not open for further replies.