SDRTrunk Low or No Audio on Record & Streaming

kd4e

Where can the audio level (for listening and recording) be altered, please?
SDRTrunk is creating recorded .wav files but when I try to listen to them there's no sound at all.
I also am not hearing any sound when the scanner is active.
I've tried headphones, plugged into the RPi, in addition to the default HDMI monitor speakers.
I downloaded a couple of .wav files online and they play fine on the RPi.
I copied the recorded .wav files to a USB stick and tried them on my laptop - no joy.
The recorded .wav files varied from 14mb to 46mb to 1.1gb in size.
Any suggestions as to where I might look to fix this, please?
Thanks!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
SDRTrunk is creating recorded .wav files but when I try to listen to them there's no sound at all.
I also am not hearing any sound when the scanner is active.
To confirm, you do hear sound on the scanner at the same time you don't hear sound in SDRTrunk? What version of SDRT and do you have JMBE set up?

Enix316

Sounds like you are using the record feature in the channel setup. Disable all that for now.

Set the record for each talk group in the alias list.

My recordings are like kb size

kd4e

To confirm, you do hear sound on the scanner at the same time you don't hear sound in SDRTrunk? What version of SDRT and do you have JMBE set up?
Sorry, no, I was unclear. I can play .wav files (downloaded from the internet) just fine on the RPi.

I hear no audio when SDRTrunk is running, and when I try to play the Recorded .wav audio files from SDRTrunk - on the RPi or my laptop - those audio files are dead silent.

kd4e

Sounds like you are using the record feature in the channel setup. Disable all that for now.

Set the record for each talk group in the alias list.

My recordings are like kb size
OK. I did that. I only had one set to Record in Channel setup. I also deleted those old, empty/silent, files. And now have restarted it.
BTW: Is there a way to cause it to automatically Disable the Waterfall every time it starts?
Also, I have User Preferences -> Audio -> Record -> set to WAVE rather than mp3. Does it matter?
Notes: User Preferences ->Source -> Tuners -> Channelizer Type is set to Heterodyne

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
I hear no audio when SDRTrunk is running,
Click Playlist Editor then the Aliases tab. Is the Listen slider slid for the talkgroups you want to hear? Encryption not a factor?
1717260453002.png

Next open Windows volume mixer, ensure SDRTrunk isn't muted here
1717260555332.png

kd4e

Click Playlist Editor then the Aliases tab. Is the Listen slider slid for the talkgroups you want to hear? Encryption not a factor?
View attachment 163182

Next open Windows volume mixer, ensure SDRTrunk isn't muted here
View attachment 163183
Listen & Record were both On in Aliases.

I'm using Linux on a Raspberry Pi. I've checked the sound-related apps I could find and all appear to be on.

Question: Should it generate some static now and then, even if signals are weak?

Thanks for your reply.

kd4e

Do have your speakers set in the sdrtrunk user preferences?
If you mean User Preferences -> Audio -> Output/Tones -> Audio Output Device -> The TEST button there, and the two below, all work. I can hear the tones through the monitor. Not loud, but I can hear them. (I have Volume set to 10 on Start Tone and Drop Tone and changed the tones to 1200 and 700 as my low-end hearing is a little weak.)