• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Low Power Transmitter Freq Read in 2.4 gHz range

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't know where else to put this question.

I'm trying to determine the exact frequencies of some of the wireless devices I use in my band. Each of the guitars and my mandolin have wireless transmitters. The specs for the transmitters say only 2.4 gHz. We will be adding some additional wireless equipment for the wireless in-ear monitors and I'm concerned about interference.

I have a Sure Com SF-401 Plus frequency meter that works quite well for my other radios but the instrument transmitters only have a range of about 50 feet +/- so they can't be more than 100 mw or so and won't trigger the freq meter. I've even tried reading the frequency immediately after a full charge to assure optimum power from the transmitters with no luck. Specs from the manufacturer are no help. I have no way of hooking up the meter directly because the antennae are wired in,

I may be answering my own question but is there any way to measure the frequencies short of spending big bucks on a freq meter (which ain't gonna happen).

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
These sound like Bluetooth devices especially the IEM's. Bluetooth automatically picks an unused frequency. The manufacturer only specifies the general frequency because it will vary in actual use. Drones do the same thing. Also wireless routers etc. There are a finite number of channels so if you have too many devices you may have an issue.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Most of this equipment utilizes some form of frequency hopping or spread spectrum. Unless the equipment has some user accessible frequency adjustment there is little you can do with a frequency counter.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to mention that each has 4 selectable channels so I don't think it's frequency hopping.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna be a bystander on this one because I don't understand the concept of frequency hopping enough to discuss it.

(Where's Hedy Lamarr when you need her? :))

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Further research indicates that these are not Bluetooth although they are in the same frequency area. You might want to contact Sweetwater. They sell all sorts of wireless music and microphone equipment. A quick look indicates that the number of channels varies and the more channels you want to use the more expensive the equipment will be. Recently had dealings with Sweetwater and they are very helpful. Not operating are full capacity during the present emergency, but went out of their way to fill my order.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Sweetwater is my usual go-to supplier. I've purchased everything from capos to mixers from them. I'm sure I will ultimately buy the equipment from them. I've done some further research and the wireless monitors I want are in the 538-554 mHz range. While I may not be the brightest light in the harbor, I don't think it will be a problem. Perhaps I was being overly cautious but 2 grand is a lot of money and since everyone is staying home, we're not playing and, thus, not making any money.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Further research indicates that these are not Bluetooth although they are in the same frequency area. You might want to contact Sweetwater. They sell all sorts of wireless music and microphone equipment. A quick look indicates that the number of channels varies and the more channels you want to use the more expensive the equipment will be. Recently had dealings with Sweetwater and they are very helpful. Not operating are full capacity during the present emergency, but went out of their way to fill my order.
If you look up the FCC ID for the devices the test data will give some indication of the modulation and the channel access scheme. If it is CDMA like WiFi it will have a wide bandwidth that your frequency counter cannot resolve. If it is narrow, it might be frequency hopping spread spectrum that likewise a frequency counter her cannot track. A spectrum analyser might tell you more,

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thanx, guys. I've decided there shouldn't be a problem. Our mics are in the 614 mHz range; the instrument transmitters are 2.4 gHz; and the wireless monitors will be around 538+ mHz. I say "shouldn't be a problem" but I'm also familiar with Murphy's Law. We'll be keeping good ole-fashioned wire around just in case.

n5ims, I got it. Harvey Korman was one of my favorites.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Are you asking me to second-guess the FCC?

If I read the paperwork right, our mic system uses replaceable modules in each mic that will allow us to transplant new ones if something fails. I assume we could also change the frequency but that doesn't account for the "base unit." The receiver, or rather, receivers because there are four, are in one rack-mounted unit. I can't help but think the whole system might have to be replaced if the FCC starts fiddling with the the frequencies again, something I certainly don't look forward to. That's more $$$. We're goin' broke gettin' famous. :)

ecps92

What Jay was getting at is

there had been [I forget how long ago, but within the past 10 yrs] a shuffle of wireless frequencies and
the FCC ordered some of them vacated, but we know what will occur, and there still will be orphans.

So becareful as the frequencies you had, may belong to someone/something else now and you are interfering with them

Mr Goggle tells me, your 600 MHz items are no-longer valid Per the FCC
Are you asking me to second-guess the FCC?

If I read the paperwork right, our mic system uses replaceable modules in each mic that will allow us to transplant new ones if something fails. I assume we could also change the frequency but that doesn't account for the "base unit." The receiver, or rather, receivers because there are four, are in one rack-mounted unit. I can't help but think the whole system might have to be replaced if the FCC starts fiddling with the the frequencies again, something I certainly don't look forward to. That's more $$$. We're goin' broke gettin' famous. :)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I understand, Bill. I checked with one of the other band members and these are supposed to be in the range that is still permissible. The rack-mounted receiver does not show the actual frequency being transmitted by any mic. (The wireless monitor transmitter does show the frequency being broadcast to the individual monitors.) I'll see if I can determine the exact frequencies of the mics lest I become a pain in the (choose body part) when dealing with the sales people.

Status
Not open for further replies.