Low Profile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

relots14

Hello Everyone!

I have always been interested in scanning and used various brands of scanners in the past. In November I upgraded to the Uniden BCD436HP. The scanner is great and love the functionality. I recently changed the stock rubber duck antenna to the Diamond RH77CA antenna which has improved my reception especially in my house. The only problem is reception becomes spotty and cuts out especially when in my truck. If it is in my cupholder it will pick up some but not all channels. For example, tone outs I will hear part of the tone but as soon as I pick it up it comes in clear.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe my issue will be resolved by adding an exterior antenna. I have been doing research on various mounting options and antennas. I really do not want to drill holes or modify my truck in any way so I am figuring on a magnetic mount since I am a simple hobbyist and do not always carry the scanner with me. I was wondering what the suggestions were for a low profile antenna. Something that will improve my reception but nothing that is too crazy.

Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Standard VHF 1/4 wave (18-19 inches) NMO mount. You can get them in black.

Skip the mag mount, as they do more damage to your finish in the long run. Use an "L" bracket, mounted to the fender in the seam between the hood anf fender. Yeah, I know you said no holes, but it only requires 3, or even 2 or the 3 screws to mount, and the holes are not visible.

You'll never regret it, and it'll be a performer for your scanner. If you chose a different antenna later, the standard NMO mount gives you myriad options.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Standard VHF 1/4 wave (18-19 inches) NMO mount. You can get them in black.

Skip the mag mount, as they do more damage to your finish in the long run. Use an "L" bracket, mounted to the fender in the seam between the hood anf fender. Yeah, I know you said no holes, but it only requires 3, or even 2 or the 3 screws to mount, and the holes are not visible.

You'll never regret it, and it'll be a performer for your scanner. If you chose a different antenna later, the standard NMO mount gives you myriad options.

+1 on NMO mount. Larsen Tri-Band is pretty low profile and gets good reception.

lmrtek

UHF signals work fairly well inside a vehicle but vhf is greatly attenuated

ANY outside antenna will make a huge improvement

BillH1

I used a fairly cheap and effective mag mount for many years on my truck. The Spectrumforce wideband antenna. It did well on VHF, and UHF, picking up towns from 35 miles away for me. Never tested it on 700/800 mhz, but I imagine it would do alright on everything except VHF lo band. I would say this is a pretty good mag mount if you want low profile and are set on not drilling anything.

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and SMA | Scanner Master

bee

That is the antenna I use with "good results". I have three on the roof of my car. One for the HP 2 one for the 436 and one for the bct 15.

I use the HP2 and the 436, for MSWIN in Mississippi, and the bct 15 for local frequencies.

MSWIN is Mississippi Wireless Intergrated Network.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.