Low Profile NMO Mount Wide-Band Mobile Scanner Receive Antenna Whip for Uniden Bearcat - Receive frequency: 50MHz - 1200 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch802

To go along with what the others have posted, I think the best option for you is the Larsen Tri-band mounted in the center of your roof. It is black so it will blend in well, and it isn't very tall so it won't draw a lot of attention which is the impression I'm getting from you that you want.

I have the 2M/220/440 version of the CompacTenna, and it does work work surprisingly well, but it is NOT low profile, and it WILL draw attention to your vehicle. I bought the CompacTenna because it was the only thing that I could get into my garage with, even a 1/4 wave antenna will hit my garage door (I have a really low garage). Since then my wife and I switched, she now uses the garage and I use the carport which has more height, and I switched to the Larson Tri band because I wanted coverage up in the 900MHz range. However, I do sometimes switch to a 5/8 wave for VHF or a dual band VHF/UHF if I want some more gain and don't need the 700-900 range.

The only reason to run multiple antennas and to combine them into one signal would be if you want to run something like a 5/8 wave for each band to get the best possible performance, but then you will look like a porcupine. I do it from time to time (I have 3 NMO mounts on my roof) but I really don't care what other people think. But most of the time I just run with the Larsen Tri band on the roof. Keep in mind with a higher gain antenna, your bandwidth for that range will be smaller.

Someone with more experience please correct me but I would say running 3 1/4 wave antennas for each band of interest and then combining them with a Triplexer would probably work no better than just using one antenna like the Larsen Tri band. Maybe even a little worse with the extra coax and insertion loss of the Triplexer?

You aren't making it any easier on me either. I might just buy all of them. LOL! ...and I'll go from there. I do want to have one in the trunk that I can bring out if stationary and stick to the roof and just hot swap it out from the scanner. You guys are going to bankrupt me! lol. ...not like I'm not doing a good enough job on my own. haha.

Here is what I have connected to the 800-900mhz Motorola. It's mounted to the seat so as I move the seat, the radio moves with me. Custom bracket a friend of mine custom made and installed for me. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 32

mitch802

There would be no good reason to combine two of any type antenna for feeding your mobile scanner. One COMPACtenna Scan III will work a little better on a trunk lip mount than any of the 18" tall multi band antennas I've tried. There is a very tall antenna made by Austin Antenna called the Spectra that would add VHF lo band if you need that and I'm not sure if it receives VHF/UHF/800 any better than the shorter antennas. If you don't need VHF lo then forget this model.

As for the comment that the best antenna for a scanner is an 18" quarter wave VHF, that would be incorrect and by a long shot.
Might replace my existing 800/900 antenna with one of those and buy another for the scanner as well. Wouldn't look too terribly bad either. A few other good choices to consider as well. :)

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I narrowed it down to the Larsen tri-band and the Compactenna Scan-III. I wound up buying the Scan-III upon recommendation of the guys at HRO.

The first test was the drive home, which was about an hour away from the store. Right off the bat, I noticed that I was receiving transmissions outside of the store that I lost approximately half way down on the trip to the store. Everything was much clearer.

The second test was at our home. I mounted it in a window of our first floor apartment and immediately was getting better reception and could now receive the Philly TRS, which I could not do before.

I can't compare the Scan-III to the Larsen, because I don't own one, but I can highly recommend the Scan-III. It outperforms any other other antenna that I have either on my vehicle or in the apartment.

prcguy

What antenna were you using that the COMPACtenna outperformed?

I narrowed it down to the Larsen tri-band and the Compactenna Scan-III. I wound up buying the Scan-III upon recommendation of the guys at HRO.

The first test was the drive home, which was about an hour away from the store. Right off the bat, I noticed that I was receiving transmissions outside of the store that I lost approximately half way down on the trip to the store. Everything was much clearer.

The second test was at our home. I mounted it in a window of our first floor apartment and immediately was getting better reception and could now receive the Philly TRS, which I could not do before.

I can't compare the Scan-III to the Larsen, because I don't own one, but I can highly recommend the Scan-III. It outperforms any other other antenna that I have either on my vehicle or in the apartment.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Nothing that I would consider an apples to apples comparision of. I have a Laird phantom antenna on the roof of our vehicle. The Scan-III immediately outperformed that antenna, which was not a surprise.

As far as in the windows, I had a cheap Amazon Tram antenna and a no-name or unmarked, what looks to be a dual or tri-band NMO mag mount antenna, which seemed to be tuned to 490 MHz. My Wilson 500MHz and 800 MHz antennas are now sitting in storage since we moved.

Sorry that I couldn't be more help.

What antenna were you using that the COMPACtenna outperformed?

mitch802

Nothing that I would consider an apples to apples comparision of. I have a Laird phantom antenna on the roof of our vehicle. The Scan-III immediately outperformed that antenna, which was not a surprise.

As far as in the windows, I had a cheap Amazon Tram antenna and a no-name or unmarked, what looks to be a dual or tri-band NMO mag mount antenna, which seemed to be tuned to 490 MHz. My Wilson 500MHz and 800 MHz antennas are now sitting in storage since we moved.

Sorry that I couldn't be more help.

To the contrary my friend! I have truly appreciated ALL of the suggestions and you know what? I am going to buy all of them. Seriously. The laird as well as the compactenna(s). They all sound great. I have a feeling that while stationary I will switch to the Laird. Although I saw one of the Collier County Deputies with what looked like a dual band Laird on their roof. I see them from time to time on some but not all S.O. Vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.