Low profile or whip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
What offers the best receiving performance: Low profile, the coil one or quarter wave? I’m looking for info on 700/800 MHz

thank you

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You didn't include a whole lot of information such as the type of Mount, if you use an nmo mount preferably with a hole drilled in the center of the roof or the center of the trunk substituting RG58 with low loss coax you will get better reception with a dedicated 700 to 800 megahertz antenna including the one with the pigtail or a quarter wave over a low profile antenna.

I assume you are using it for a scanner and this is for receive only so I would probably go with a Larson tri-band scanner antenna with an nmo mount.

That way you could also listen to VHF High, UHF in addition to the 7 - 800 megahertz band. There are two of them, the older one that does not have a spring and the new one that has a heavy duty mount and a spring and for transmit extends coverage into the 700 megahertz range.

If you are listening only then if you can find the older model for about 30 bucks that will work fine on 700 megahertz also.

I've used both for receive only and the reception is identical and it is actually the same antenna but the newer one does have the spring and heavy duty mount.

If you are going to use a magnet Mount or a lip mount and not drill holes then that's going to make a difference.

If you were going to use a low profile 7 - 800 megahertz antenna you also would certainly want to drill a hole for the nmo mount and mount it in a central location.

Hope that helps with the information that you gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.