Low Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

devile

Premium Subscriber
I have a nice clean black truck, and i don't want big antenna's flying off of the thing... Something low profile... I was thinking of those window mount ones, wondering if they're any good??? I need one for my CB... and need one for my Scanner, but i don't know how well that will work for my scanner. It says it's good for cell freqs, which means it would prolly work for the EDACS system i track, but not sure about the regular 2-ways (smaller fire departments use)... Just looking for some opinions... And just to clarify, the antennas i'm talking about are linked here... KG3E825UDMPL - Glass mount 800 MHz Antenna Canada

JoeyC

You might find a low(er) profile antenna for 800mHz, but CB is at 27mHz and a tiny antenna will give you tiny results.

GKolo

I have a window mount from Radio Shack for a scanner, I find that the window tint in the window cuts down on reception. If you dont want to pick up distant locations it should work just fine for you.

hockeyshrink

You may be able to get by with the window mount antenna for the scanner, but as JoeyC points out a window mount antenna will be inadequate for transmitting on cb frequencies.

A "low profile" option for the cb may be a simple comtelco base loaded antenna, which you can get in black.

www.comtelcoantennas.com/PDF Datasheets/A1801.pdf

For your scanner, you can try splitting off the FM input to your broadcast radio...it is not optimal from a frequency perspective, but it works pretty well, particularly for VHF.

Another stealth option for the scanner is mounting a whip inside the vehicle, such that the whip comes through a small hole in the rear deck. (used to do this on plain cop cars back in the day) You can use a 2 meter 1/4 wave whip and get good reception, especially for VHF-Hi and UHF freqs.

Last edited:

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
I have a nice clean black truck, and i don't want big antenna's flying off of the thing... Something low profile... I was thinking of those window mount ones, wondering if they're any good??? I need one for my CB... and need one for my Scanner, but i don't know how well that will work for my scanner. It says it's good for cell freqs, which means it would prolly work for the EDACS system i track, but not sure about the regular 2-ways (smaller fire departments use)... Just looking for some opinions... And just to clarify, the antennas i'm talking about are linked here... KG3E825UDMPL - Glass mount 800 MHz Antenna Canada

Take out the uppermount stop lamp, take a deep breath, and drill a 3/4 hole for a good mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.