• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Lowband

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerlineman

Is there a future for lowband? Does anyone have a new use for it? I wondered about using lowband for point to point linking since it's pretty much dead in my area. UHF is pretty congested. Thoughts? pros, cons.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Several problems with low band for linking. First, directional antennas can be unwieldy at lower frequencies, and most links are done with yagi-style antennas. The second is skip interference, which could cause a host of problems if you're using a low band channel to control a VHF or UHF repeater.

Its sad to see manufacturers abandon a group of frequencies that work so well in suburban and rural areas. Low band gives so much bang for the buck, and VHF Low radio systems are so simple and bulletproof, they're almost tailor-made for public safety and critical infrastructure radio systems in wide open areas.

Motorola, Vertex and Kenwood have a handful of VHF Low stuff available, and you can find some pretty good deals on eBay. If you do the eBay or used equipment route, be aware that low band radios usually come in "splits" (30-36 MHz, 36-42 MHz and 42-50 MHz for most Motorola equipment) and you'll need the correct split for your operating frequency. The 30-36 MHz radios are becoming particularly hard to find nowadays.

reedeb

Agree and it was fun listening to skip at certain times. I remember tmes in Maine in the 70's and 80's listening to The southern FD's on 33 mhz.

In fact I still have crystals for 33 and 45 mhz in my radio box.

DPD1

BNSF has been using low band for a new-ish mobile data system for a while... I think mainly in the Pacific NW region. I'm not sure how that's been going.

powerlineman

Our county Fire Dept. wants to put in voting recievers. They are having a hard time finding freqs to link with. Lowband was an idea but not sure if licenses would be granted for linking purposes.

RKG

Our county Fire Dept. wants to put in voting recievers. They are having a hard time finding freqs to link with. Lowband was an idea but not sure if licenses would be granted for linking purposes.

RF links generally yield very poor performance when used to haul satellite receivers back to a comparator.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
is their a particular coordinator you have to use to get a lowband business frequency.

Ive seen some but are listed as low power.

I have a bunch of 42-50 lowband radios and would like to license a base and mobile units. Where do i go to reference the actual listing of lowband business freqs.

Frank

captncarp

With Lowband radios and no repeaters you had a system that always worked and that was important in public safety.....the mfg.'s got so they did not want to offer anything that was not at least VHF HI with a repeater, or something even more exotic. No more systems that lasted and lasted. No money for dealers and mfg.'s in systems that last twenty-thirty years. They are snake oil salesmen.......once VHF HI sales slowed then UHF was the flavor of the week, then TRUNKED, and now DIGITAL......A REAL MONEYMAKER......but we still have bad communications....every new system brings with it a new set of problems.......and they are deadly for public safety workers.

Miss the skip......nothing like being in a New York Firehouse and have San Francisco Fire Dept.coming over the house monitor on 46.46mhz.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
With Lowband radios and no repeaters you had a system that always worked and that was important in public safety.....the mfg.'s got so they did not want to offer anything that was not at least VHF HI with a repeater, or something even more exotic. No more systems that lasted and lasted. No money for dealers and mfg.'s in systems that last twenty-thirty years. They are snake oil salesmen.......once VHF HI sales slowed then UHF was the flavor of the week, then TRUNKED, and now DIGITAL......A REAL MONEYMAKER......but we still have bad communications....every new system brings with it a new set of problems.......and they are deadly for public safety workers.

Miss the skip......nothing like being in a New York Firehouse and have San Francisco Fire Dept.coming over the house monitor on 46.46mhz.

so true. Lowband was too reliable

Status
Not open for further replies.