Lower Merion going from EDACS to DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks.

Any further color on:

(1) when the LMPD switchover to Hytera (DMR) will occur?;

(2) any possibility that LMPD will simulcast their transmissions on EDACs or some other listenable broadcast while they use DMR?;

(3) when with the County's new P25 system be up-and-running and in use by LMPD?; and

(4) anyone know of any scanner that can monitor a Hytera system?

Appreciate any further information.

Not in your area but I found it typical when a agency switches systems They simulcast to both systems until a full switch is made and all its users and or surrounding areas have means to interop with them. Once they get everyone on same page they cut the simulcasting to old systems. Some leave it there as fall back or just have new fall back conv channels. if they have other agencies who literally relie on there main dispatch for interop purposes they may till it fails or becomes illogical with costs and maintenance continue a primary channel simulcast to a obsolete system. Seen It With A Old Edacs where I once lived. But I'd plan on them inevitably cutting any dual system simulcasting once a new ones in place.

SCPD

QRT
Where I live, the PD went from conventional to DMR in a day. The PD did post on their Facebook page that they were going to switch, so us scanner listener's knew in advance. It stinks when you can't hear the local police anymore.

Septa3371CSX1

Getting a strong and constant DMR signal on 460.275 tonight. Also getting the regular EDACS-N CC on 460.450. Seeing as 460.275 hasn't been in the regular rotation of the TRS since they narrowbanded I'm wondering if this is indeed the new DMR system.

UPDATE: Looking at the FCC data it appears Lower Merion added DMR and P25 emissions to one of the licenses for these frequencies.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WPMV633

Last edited:

phillydjdan

Joe, do you have an SDR or discriminator tapped scanner to decode the DMR? If not I do.

Septa3371CSX1

Got it running now and I'm getting just data. Most of what I'm getting is coming up CC=0. Seeing some other CC numbers coming up with various headers and error messages. I'm still a beginner with DSD+. This is coming up as DMR 4800 baud.

DisasterGuy

Inreresting transition concept in this system. For $2million they could have taken a migration approach with Harris to P25 I am quite certain.

Septa3371CSX1

Inreresting transition concept in this system. For $2million they could have taken a migration approach with Harris to P25 I am quite certain.

The idea behind the DMR system is mainly for public works. Once Montco upgrades their current TRS to P25 Phase 2 TDMA the police will likely migrate over there. Police on the DMR seems meant to be a temporary band aid since the EDACS is coming to EOL and the new county system is not in place yet.

union28

Does anyone have any information, or speculation for that matter, if the new LMPD DMR system will be encrypted?

Update for All:

The DMR system is encrypted. Further, they will be on Hytera PD782 (PD) and PD702 (PW) radios township wide, with GPS enabled.

Techs are currently testing the system with an anticipation for it to go live within the coming weeks.

mlmummert

So even public works will be encrypted? We can't even listen to the garbage trucks anymore?

SCPD

QRT
So even public works will be encrypted? We can't even listen to the garbage trucks anymore?

Allot of cities are anymore. What happens is the radios have the capability and probably are same ones the pd will be using. It's easier to manage one setup then have 5 different setups. It's becoming more common and due to tort claims is why you have public works and community services departments also going to that route. It don't help the media shows up or free press before law enforcement, fire, or public work issues.

Stormfax

RIP LMPD EDACS

I think the switch to DMR is complete.
There's no EDACS activity and only the sound of data/encryption on the 460.XXX freqs.

Septa3371CSX1

Correct. 3 frequencies dedicated to the DMR system. The old EDACS control channel is still live for now.

As of right now not picking up an EDACS control channel on any of the frequencies. Looks like the darkness has come to Lower Merion as they operate in secrecy to ensure no one things Lower Merion has major crime.

Right now with DSD+ and my Pro 668 getting a CC of 0 on 460.275. This appears to be the data channel. Getting encrypted voice on 460.350 with CC's of 0, 7, and 10. Some activity on 460.450 as well with a CC of 0 - now also activity (data) on 460.525 - again CC 0. DSD+ not getting any talkgroup ID's.

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
At around 16:30 today, county and LMPD units came up on PTAC-1 with a roll call and dispatching of routine calls for the township.

Status
Not open for further replies.