Lowndes County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santacarl

Hey All,

I've used my scanner for years mostly during the spring and our 'tornado alley' warnings.... I found the Lowndes County Sheriff network a great source for tracking storms across the county as they have patrol cars all throughout the county...you could literally follow a storm progressing through the county by listening to their weather and road conditions reports.

I followed them as they transitioned to the MSWIN system and was able to monitor easily. Now, however, it seems they aren't using MSWIN as a primary radio....They're not coming through on their old radios frequencies either.....

Does anyone know where they 'migrated' to? The RR database still shows the old freqs that I've used over the years.....but there is dead silence.....

Thanks...

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
Radioreference shows that have talkgroups on MSWIN and their UHF license is valid until 2024.

Santacarl

Radioreference shows that have talkgroups on MSWIN and their UHF license is valid until 2024.
Thank for the response.... I used to be able to hear them on MSWIN on the same settings that are in the database now.....I am also scanning those UHF channels shown in the DB....they used to work before they went to the MSWIN trunk system.....then they went silent.... I'm wondering if they've gone to DMR....I don't have the upgrade because no one I was listening to WAS using DMR..... Would DMR use the same frequencies or is that technology using a different freq?

akalynchs

When I was down on the coast last year, much of the MSWIN system had migrated to Phase2. Curious since you have to two MSWIN sites in Lowndes, Crawford and Columbia (I think) are you getting anything off of those two MSWIN sites? Ms Wildlife, Parks, Forrestry, etc.

scanphreak

If they did go encrypted the modern uniden scanners won't receive their transmissions. You won't hear anything. According to the DB everything in Lowndes is just digital, nothing has been reported as encrypted. You are still monitoring TALKGROUP 44328 and you have not turned off the LAW DISPATCH Service Tag in the 436HP correct?

If you turn off service tags, it will totally avoid agencies that are classified within that service tag group even if you have the talkgroups unavoided. Go to this page to learn more about it Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Last edited:

Santacarl

If they did go encrypted the modern uniden scanners won't receive their transmissions. You won't hear anything. According to the DB everything in Lowndes is just digital, nothing has been reported as encrypted. You are still monitoring TALKGROUP 44328 and you have not turned off the LAW DISPATCH Service Tag in the 436HP correct?

If you turn off service tags, it will totally avoid agencies that are classified within that service tag group even if you have the talkgroups unavoided. Go to this page to learn more about it Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Thanks for the response, link and help....

Yep...I'm on TGID 44328 and the LD Service Tag is set to "ON"..... In fact I CAN pick up Columbus PD but they've gone full voice inversion so, while I can pick them up, of course you can't understand what they're saying....

Your comment on not receiving encrypted tracks.....as I WAS monitoring MHP, who I understand went encrypted, and now there is dead silence from them....

On another note....scuttlebutt has it that a while back one of the sheriff patrol cars came up on MSWIN and checked in with dispatch.....only to be told they were on the "wrong radio".....then the channel went silent again.... So that leads me to believe they're monitoring MSWIN but using some other radio.....or talkgroup.... OR is it possible they can switch between encrypted and not encrypted; if so that would account for the 'silence'....

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
If they are encrypted here is how to tell on the 436HP... Park it on them and watch for enc to pop up on the screen for a couple of seconds.

Bud75

i can not get towers from lowndes county here in chickasaw but i use to hear them some of the clay county tower on id 44328 but havent heard them in awhile on it.but i have been getting 44329 that is encrypted.so dont know if thats what there using now or not

crookedletterboy

Whistler 1040
I have a Whistler 1040 and have the same issue. Other than the inverted Columbus Police, I don't pick up anything. Radio seems useless at this point.

crookedletterboy

Whistler 1040
When were you hear last? I'm thinking of getting a Phase II scanner but don't want to waste the money if it won't change anything. I read somewhere that the WS1040 is notorious for not picking up transmissions.

Santacarl

I was in Columbus last week. I have a uniden homepatrol II.

Be safe
Hmmmmm....interesting. Did you happen to take note of the frequency? Was it MSWIN perhaps....? I can pick up the Clay county folks (West Point) but nothing on the MSWIN sites around Columbus.... I wonder if it's some slight tweak that I need to make...

Status
Not open for further replies.