Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectralContent

Feed Provider
It appears that Loyola University Maryland Public Safety Capacity+ DMR system has unfortunately become encrypted recently. Has anyone monitored this system as of late to know when it might have changed to an encrypted network? It was not encrypted as of late 2019/early 2020.

According to DSD+, it appears they are using the EP/RC4 encryption protocol so doesn't appear there is any hope of decrypting it.

As a student of the university, it is unfortunate I lost a close and relevant system to monitor. It seems more and more universities (understandably for security sake) are moving to encrypted networks.

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately is the case. Off to monitor BPD (for now)
Some of the other university police departments in town are on the Maryland statewide network if you're into that, and are not encrypted.

Perhaps a letter to your university's president is in order. You would think that they would want to be transparent (I bet they don't even realize that it's been encrypted.)

SpectralContent

Feed Provider
You mean the 451.85 WNDC532 entry? I thought they'd moved that over to WPTH406. At least one of the frequencies on that system is running encrypted, I believe.

Yes, I have not seen this other license at all in my searches (probably because its under Loyola College) Ill check it out. Thanks!

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Makes it easier to downplay racially-charged incidents and suspected sexual assaults/misconduct. If the event happens, and there's no one around with a key to hear it, did it really happen?

No they did not. I'm assuming they did it without notice thinking no one would notice or care 😓

SpectralContent

Feed Provider
Makes it easier to downplay racially-charged incidents and suspected sexual assaults/misconduct. If the event happens, and there's no one around with a key to hear it, did it really happen?
Unfortunately. A shame for us who just want to hear what's going on on campus and have a little more appreciation and respect for what campus police actually does. To the eye, they don't appear to deal with much, but I'm sure that is not the case.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I don't mean to paint all LEOs with the same broad brush that's so popular these days, but damn, throwing up encrypted comms in the atmosphere we live in now where transparency is supposed to be the norm seems like a big old middle finger to we, the unwashed...

Unfortunately. A shame for us who just want to hear what's going on on campus and have a little more appreciation and respect for what campus police actually does. To the eye, they don't appear to deal with much, but I'm sure that is not the case.

SpectralContent

Feed Provider
I don't mean to paint all LEOs with the same broad brush that's so popular these days, but damn, throwing up encrypted comms in the atmosphere we live in now where transparency is supposed to be the norm seems like a big old middle finger to we, the unwashed...
Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.