• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

LTE and DMR hotspot in car

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone here ever installed an LTE modem and/or DMR hotspot in a car? I’m looking to do both and I have some questions.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
I want to permanently install in my car both an LTE modem and raspberry pi based hotspot and was wondering if it would be worth in to install external antennas on my roof/trunk. I was thinking a low profile UHF and 2 low profile cell antennas.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I want to permanently install in my car both an LTE modem and raspberry pi based hotspot and was wondering if it would be worth in to install external antennas on my roof/trunk. I was thinking a low profile UHF and 2 low profile cell antennas.
Only if you are going to need the extra distance the better antennas will allow.

Sent using Tapatalk

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
As krokus said only if you need the distance. I run an external Cell antenna for my LTE modem as I live in cell black hole. My open spot works fine for my HT with the stock antenna even outside the truck.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Since the equipment will be mounted in the trunk, I think some antennas for the modem are in order. Coverage in my area is pretty good but I do go through some dark spots. For the DMR hotspot, I keep bouncing back and forth. I’ll probably go with the stock antenna to cut down on holes I put in my car. I’m already up to 5.

w2xq

Mentor
If you toss a VZW Jetpack (or equivalent), a hotspot (or a new SharkRF Openspot2) and a solar cell phone battery pack (a variety available at Best Buy) with 2 USB sockets into a transparent icebox container, just put the containter on a seat of the vehicle. I found a solar cell battery version that also had LED lights on the other side, plus a jack for the usual 5v charger, with an on/off switch at Best Buy for ~$40. Two short cable and maybe, if needed, a power cord when there isn't enough sunlight should finish the clean project..

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
I’m going to do something like that for a mobile kit with a Netgear MR1100 mobile router and Raspberry Pi based hotspot. The only cables I would need are a network cable and a USB cable connecting them since the MR1100 also doubles as a battery pack.

For the car, it’s already crowded inside the car plus I’m mounting all my radio gear in the trunk anyway. I plan on going with a Netgear LB1120 LTE modem and a Raspberry Pi based hotspot. It’s also going to double as router for mobile data in my car.

spacellamaman

face it man...its already over.. embrace it

Since the equipment will be mounted in the trunk, I think some antennas for the modem are in order. Coverage in my area is pretty good but I do go through some dark spots. For the DMR hotspot, I keep bouncing back and forth. I’ll probably go with the stock antenna to cut down on holes I put in my car. I’m already up to 5.

you and "low profile" haven't been near each other for sometime now, with that Sieve you call a car you're driving, at this point you need to just go ahead and face reality:

--you Will-Not be picking up ANY chicks in that car, --

and presumably you haven't had a snowballs chance since the second perforation happened, so just go ahead and go for performance. no one likes a porcupine with short hair or long, so might as well grow it out and let your freak flag fly.

speaking of flags, from the sound of it you could have a scale model of the courtyard at the UN building with all the flagpoles you got going.

it’s already crowded inside the car

ya know, i could have written all of this stuff myself.

Last edited:

RodStrong

In the event it's of any interest, I bought this little plastic box at walmart for less than 3 bucks. I keep my Rugged Spot in it.

Drilled a few holes in it for venting. The holes (not visible in the pic) were strategically placed to lessen the likelihood of harming the contents from a drink spill.

I keep ac/dc adapters inside the box, so I can quickly power it in my vehicle or in a hotel room, home, etc. When not using it, I just wrap the power cord around the box and hold it on with a rubber band. Completely portable, and protects the Rugged Spot. You can simply lay it in the seat, back seat, floorboard, wherever. Plug it in, it will see your hotspot and you're up and running. I wouldn't want to hard mount it because it would reduce my options on using it.

Good luck.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0203.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0203.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 138

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
you and "low profile" haven't been near each other for sometime now, with that Sieve you call a car you're driving, at this point you need to just go ahead and face reality:

--you Will-Not be picking up ANY chicks in that car, --

and presumably you haven't had a snowballs chance since the second perforation happened, so just go ahead and go for performance. no one likes a porcupine with short hair or long, so might as well grow it out and let your freak flag fly.

speaking of flags, from the sound of it you could have a scale model of the courtyard at the UN building with all the flagpoles you got going.

ya know, i could have written all of this stuff myself.

Ok....... let’s unpack all that.

There will be a max of 5 total, but maybe down to 4 now (LTE/WIFI/GPS, main radio, scanner, DMR/APRS).

Not a problem since I don’t need to pick them up anymore.

I don’t need performance, just get a better signal than what the LTE modem can do with its own antennas, creamed in a metal drawer in the trunk. I was thinking of going with a ARM42111DM “Armadillo” antenna system for the data system.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
In the event it's of any interest, I bought this little plastic box at walmart for less than 3 bucks. I keep my Rugged Spot in it.

Drilled a few holes in it for venting. The holes (not visible in the pic) were strategically placed to lessen the likelihood of harming the contents from a drink spill.

I keep ac/dc adapters inside the box, so I can quickly power it in my vehicle or in a hotel room, home, etc. When not using it, I just wrap the power cord around the box and hold it on with a rubber band. Completely portable, and protects the Rugged Spot. You can simply lay it in the seat, back seat, floorboard, wherever. Plug it in, it will see your hotspot and you're up and running. I wouldn't want to hard mount it because it would reduce my options on using it.

Good luck.

I plan on building something like this too for uses outside of the car. My car is a Ford Fiesta and is very small, so anything inside the cabin takes up a lot of space. There is barely space in the back for a small trash can a bin to hold some stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.