LTR Network Question

JethrowJohnson

Hi all,
A few weeks ago I noticed that the Marietta College Police Department had a channel on the MILLER COMMUNICATIONS network but I never saw it before because I hadn't looked at the Trunked Systems list. They have a conventional VHF channel and I thought I never hear them because it's simplex and I'm not close enough. But I thought I'd program their channel on that LTR network today, but I saw that the list of site frequencies had 7 spaces but only the 1st and 7th frequencies were listed and all the others said N/A. Does that mean they're unknown and need to be discovered or does it mean they're just not needed and you just have to program the LCN? I've only programmed scanners for P25 networks before so I'm a bit confused. Thank you.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
No. You need to distribute the frequencies on an LTR system for data stream purposes. I’m pretty sure most controllers overcame that issue many years ago, but if this is an old controller and it’s working they probably saw no reason to upgrade.

OR….they’ve mined frequencies from the LTR system and these are the only two left.

Either way all 20 possible slots don’t need to be populated.

JethrowJohnson

No. You need to distribute the frequencies on an LTR system for data stream purposes. I’m pretty sure most controllers overcame that issue many years ago, but if this is an old controller and it’s working they probably saw no reason to upgrade.

OR….they’ve mined frequencies from the LTR system and these are the only two left.

Either way all 20 possible slots don’t need to be populated.
Okay, so I just put in the LCNs?

JethrowJohnson

I decided not to program that network into my radio since Marietta College Police Department monitors the county conventional system and they can use those channels to talk to Marietta PD and if MPD needs to get ahold of them, they can just stay on MARIETTA PD 1 since College PD already monitors it. So I didn't see the need to program that in since it was just that one channel anyway. But, earlier this week, I noticed Parkersburg had an LTR system too, and Parkersburg Police and Fire both had channels on that system. So I just got done programming that one in, but when I hold on one of those channels, there isn't any signal. So am I not receiving it for some reason or are LTR systems not supposed to transmit continuously?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I decided not to program that network into my radio since Marietta College Police Department monitors the county conventional system and they can use those channels to talk to Marietta PD and if MPD needs to get ahold of them, they can just stay on MARIETTA PD 1 since College PD already monitors it. So I didn't see the need to program that in since it was just that one channel anyway. But, earlier this week, I noticed Parkersburg had an LTR system too, and Parkersburg Police and Fire both had channels on that system. So I just got done programming that one in, but when I hold on one of those channels, there isn't any signal. So am I not receiving it for some reason or are LTR systems not supposed to transmit continuously?
No idea if you’re receiving it, but LTR doesn’t transmit continuously.