• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

LTR Radio Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Anybody have recommendations for a small, lightweight HT that will do LTR?. Have a 1250LS+ and a Kenwood TK-380 that are kind of boat anchors. I was thinking ICOM's lineup maybe the closest but I am open to any manufacture. Does not need to have every bell and whistle available and I don't need a ton of channel memories. No need for digital and look to keep the price as low as possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Kenwood TK-2140/3140.
All over the place, very small subcompact, does a ton of channels, nice display. With a small battery, these can be shirt pocket radios, slightly larger than an EX-600.

Very well made, and can be had for $100-150 in the used market. Windows programming software is a breeze.

Had a fleet of these and the HT-1250/1550s in service for an EMS company I used to work for as a communications manager, and the 3140's held up better. The medics preferred them due to size and battery life.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I have a Motorola EX 600 XLS that I use on almost a daily basis at work and it works wonderful. They can be had in the $200-$250 range used.

domes

Nobody does LTR better than Kenwood. Lots of unique LTR features and system/site scan works as well as conventional scan and can be mixed in the scan list. As mentioned above the TK-3140 is a good compact radio. TK-3173 is slightly larger, also a great LTR radio and our main stable. The NX-300 & 320 digitals are also fully LTR capable if you are thinking forward to a Nexedge system.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Like domes said, Kenwood is also a great option. I personally have thought about switching to the NX series myself. I am a member of the "Radio Committee" at my job to try and decide what system to change to and we are leaning towards either a UHF or 800 Nexedge system because when the current LTR system was put in way before I started they chose VHF and as you all know VHF is poor for indoor coverage. And we have a need for some encrypted channels due to sensitive patient information and we don't have the funds to go to P25. So its either going to be NXDN or MOTOTRBO.

Last edited:

grem467

You will not regret going nxdn. We have both systems and I much prefer nexedge over trbo. 6.25 just talks! Very well thought out system.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Thats what we were leaning towards. I have another part time job and they have an 800 NXDN system with similar building construction and portable coverage is around 95% indoors and it has decent mobile coverage from our single tower site. But we are more then likely going to go UHF because our county 911 system is conventional analog so we can talk to them if need be and not have to get 2 radios for each truck.

SCPD

QRT
Kenwood TK-2140/3140.
All over the place, very small subcompact, does a ton of channels, nice display. With a small battery, these can be shirt pocket radios, slightly larger than an EX-600.

Very well made, and can be had for $100-150 in the used market. Windows programming software is a breeze.

Had a fleet of these and the HT-1250/1550s in service for an EMS company I used to work for as a communications manager, and the 3140's held up better. The medics preferred them due to size and battery life.

I like that Kenwood mentioned above, simple and a good price. People have commented on how Kenwoods are the best for LTR and I do agree. I have 3 including the one I want to replace with the smaller, lighter weight one and they work and sound great on the LTR system I have airtime on. Will consider NXDN for the future as my LTR service provider is starting to light up a NXDN system so probably at some time it will be time to upgrade to DMR. The 1250's are nice, but too heavy for a particular user.

Thanks for all the recommendations as this is a huge help to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.