• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

LTR Trunking on GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

What is the emission designator for LTR? If it's one of those permissible for use in the GMRS, then at first glance I'd say yes. YMMV.
Now, as to whether or not it's actually a good idea, based on several factors, is another question.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My Kenwood TK353 is Ltr capable as well but I'm not certain if it's 95 compliant, although it's programmed for GMRS and works just fine there.

n9zas

D

DaveNF2G

It would also require that one person own repeaters on all of the GMRS channels that will be trunked. It does not appear to be legal to build a network on GMRS that would serve multiple unrelated users, although the fact that a repeater own is free to authorize other licensees to use their repeater is evidence in the opposite direction.

On business (Part 90) frequencies (just as a point of reference), someone who wants to trunk repeaters that were formerly coordinated as conventional needs the consent of co-channel users in adjacent coverage areas.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Come to think of it, the Motorola M1225 trunking model is Part 95, I believe.

I think trunking on GMRS, while technically possible and not terribly difficult, would create a lot of usage issues for existing users and would probably end up being in violation of one or more operational Part 95 rules because of that.

There's virtually no GMRS activity here where I live, so it'd probably never generate a complaint or any interference. The big question is who'd use it. But I don't think it would fly very well in well populated areas.

And, as Dave pointed out, GMRS licensing rules do limit who could use such a critter anyway.

If nothing else, compared to simply setting up a repeater, a trunking system would be beacoup expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.