• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ltr

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIOGUY2002

Is their a way to encrypt radio talkgroups on a system. Whats the difference between a systems that decidates a user to a speicffic repeater on an ltr instead of having mutiple users roam on serveral repeaters.

Do ran codes effect LTR?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Is their a way to encrypt radio talkgroups on a system.
As long as the audio can fit within the normal vocal range passed by the radio equipment. All I can think of for th emost secure is some rolling-code speech inversion. You aren't going to get any true encryption to pass through an LTR system.

Whats the difference between a systems that decidates a user to a speicffic repeater on an ltr instead of having mutiple users roam on serveral repeaters.

Do ran codes effect LTR?
I'm not sure what you mean for either one of these questions. I've never heard of a "ran" code.

RADIOGUY2002

First part of the question second from above

Apperntily their are different ways to setup LTR systems. One way is to deciate a talkgroup ot talkgroups(user) to a one channel only type deal insted of having mutiple talkgroups that roam amongest the repeaters. It allows this user to have free up time to commit to them only. Instead of mutiple users. Ran code is for digital version of pl / dpl concept. I was not sure if that plays into ltr at all.

fineshot1

First part of the question second from above

Apperntily their are different ways to setup LTR systems. One way is to deciate a talkgroup ot talkgroups(user) to a one channel only type deal insted of having mutiple talkgroups that roam amongest the repeaters. It allows this user to have free up time to commit to them only. Instead of mutiple users. Ran code is for digital version of pl / dpl concept. I was not sure if that plays into ltr at all.

I think you are referring to IDAS (Icom Digital Advanced System). You can not run LTR on IDAS.
Its either going to be one or the other. If you want to set up LTR it will be in the analog mode.
RAN(Radio Access Number) codes are the equivalent of the Motorola NAC but are only used
when the system is configured for IDAS. At least that's my understanding of basic IDAS.

If I got something wrong please someone correct me.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Icom is working on trunking for IDAS. They decscribe it as a basic trunking, very similar to LTR. They say it will not be compatible with the more advanced trunking that Kenwood has brought out.

RADIOGUY2002

Brief, but good

See here for reference
http://www.mygmrs.com/nxdn/index.php

Kenwood Verison is know as Nexedge

Yea, but that really was not part of my question. Come to find out that Icom need to setup by zone with all system frequencies in it.

IE 01 461.0500
02 462.0500
03 463.0500

Talkgroup
0-01-045 being the home channel of one

and

0-03-250 being the home channel of three

So, it needs to be done like this zone 1, ltr, home channel 461.0500, channel's 045 and
zone 2, ltr, home channel 463.0500, channel's 250

However, its not the case for this other system. Its setup different some how, technology etc.

Last edited:

RayAir

Is their a way to encrypt radio talkgroups on a system. Whats the difference between a systems that decidates a user to a speicffic repeater on an ltr instead of having mutiple users roam on serveral repeaters.

Do ran codes effect LTR?[/QUOTE

Yes, you can encrypt on LTR systems. Whatever T.G's you want encrypted you will need to install encryption boards in those radios. Most boards are highly configurable and pricey. You will need to set delay times for the voice privacy module because you will be using a system where a repeater is used. You don't want to miss sync bursts or synchronization signaling. Don't waste your money with voice inversion or slow hopping code scramblers as they offer very minimal security.
Here's some prices:
(per board):
Transcrypt 430 (general security applications) $400
Transcrypt 460 (medium security) $550
Transcrypt DES (higher security) $699
Transcrypt AES (highest security) $699
Motorola DES or AES is probably about a grand.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Yes, you can encrypt on LTR systems.
<snip>
Don't waste your money with voice inversion or slow hopping code scramblers as they offer very minimal security.
So how do you recommend to him he get past the audio filtering of the repeaters which would normally make encryption unusable?

RADIOGUY2002

Let me clarify

I now you can encrypt a talkgroup, I understand that.

But,, like motorola systems they have conect tone's . Is their somthing like that on ltr systems?

RayAir

So how do you recommend to him he get past the audio filtering of the repeaters which would normally make encryption unusable?

I don't know his LTR systems specs. The repeaters in the LTR system would have to accept the encrypted audio. I know with rolling code the scrambler can be modified to delay the initial sync an extra couple hundred milliseconds so the repeater will transmit the full initial sync . Most digital encryption that I have used have continuous sync. I am sure a a slight repeater mod will pass digital encryption. The encryption wouldn't effect the sub-audible data for LTR trunking.

Status
Not open for further replies.