Lubbock City/County P25 UserID Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireJustin

Well, after compiling a massive amount of LID data from the Phase II system in Lubbock City/County, I learned that they are changing them... All of them. According to my source, every one of the system's 3,000+ users will have to be reprogrammed in order to accommodate a change requested by the State. For some reason, they are choosing to build out a new system using the 8-Million ID number range elsewhere, and have requested the Lubbock system move to a 14-million ID number range.

The reprogramming has been started, even though all system users have not switched out to the new radios yet. This change starts with LPD and then will move down the list to LSO, LFR and others.

nd5y

FireJustin

Well there you go. Not sure when this document was created, but seems like Lubbock should have already known and saved themselves a load of trouble in the long run....

twobytwo

Another 5 years and the Phase 2 system will be completed,then it will be time to switch to Phase 3.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
From what I seem to remember when speaking to a LSO representative a few years ago, the initial Phase 2 migration would maintain all legacy IDs just to avoid reprogramming radios being phased out. I don't know whether or not it was done but supposedly Harris had originally quoted a method to reprogram subscribers remotely to do little things like update IDs.

I know why DPS is pushing for ID standardization...to prevent issues with ISSI gateways between systems. Just like they are slowly beginning to standardize on Motorola subscribers for trunking systems.

FireJustin

@MCore25, that would seem to make a lot of sense, if they actually did that. The shop explained that they opted out of all Over-The-Air reprogramming/rekeying because of fears that a LEO may turn on a radio to request emergency help only to find his/her radio is downloading updates and cannot communicate yet... Therefore, each of the 3,000+ radios must be touched by a shop employee in order to move a talkgroup, change a LID number, or anything else.

Project25_MASTR

@MCore25, that would seem to make a lot of sense, if they actually did that. The shop explained that they opted out of all Over-The-Air reprogramming/rekeying because of fears that a LEO may turn on a radio to request emergency help only to find his/her radio is downloading updates and cannot communicate yet... Therefore, each of the 3,000+ radios must be touched by a shop employee in order to move a talkgroup, change a LID number, or anything else.

That's actually a common worry with many systems regardless of manufacturer. Motorola is supposedly making a big step forward with the WiFi programming features of the APX line. Radios will download in the background, can be setup to ask permission to install the updates from the user, etc. Supposedly it can also be programmed in such a manner that you can schedule updates to occur off shift.

It'll be interesting to see if Harris comes up with something similar. Everyone is abandoning Harris subscribers around me so I don't really know much about them.

FireJustin

I've never heard of that feature, but sounds brilliant. I feel like /\/\ would be a great option for the Lubbock area system, with the numerous issues we have had with Harris radios. . . But there is a large push to keep everyone on a totally Harris system.

Project25_MASTR

I've never heard of that feature, but sounds brilliant. I feel like /\/\ would be a great option for the Lubbock area system, with the numerous issues we have had with Harris radios. . . But there is a large push to keep everyone on a totally Harris system.

The SO has been quoted an Astro 25 solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireJustin

While I never heard the scope of that bid, I heard it was too costly and the issue was dropped. Do you have further details you're willing to share on- or off-line?

Project25_MASTR

While I never heard the scope of that bid, I heard it was too costly and the issue was dropped. Do you have further details you're willing to share on- or off-line?
What I know about it was that it was a 700 MHz system complete with core (which is why it cost so much). I know at the time, Permian regional offered to let the county connect to their core (meaning it would've gone to GATRRS after only a few years) but the decision was made that the core should be kept in country. Instead, the money would be put forth into the new subsites to help cover Ransom Canyon, Buffalo Springs and other areas, at least that is what I was told last year.

Now the county has some conventional projects in the works but other than that an independent trunking system is currently offline the table. I've heard a rumor of an independent operator looking into building out a P25 airtime system across the cap and offering airtime to volunteer departments at a reduced cost but that one is still an unlikely possibility.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

lild806

Premium Subscriber
Firejustin you said that the changes would start with lpd and lso and so forth well i know that citibus has already been taking buses to the radioshop that arent being used cause of the summer break at tech and i have seen that they recieved 4 new buses and all 4 of those buses already show the new radioids i think it was showing 1476 on the first four numbers.

FireJustin

Well, obviously any radio that's repaired or reprogrammed for any reason will be programmed with a new LID, as well as any new radio installs. A lot of LSO units are showing up with the new scheme of 14752XXX now.

Status
Not open for further replies.