Lubbock EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

prtzel

A few months ago, a little birdie told me that the City of Lubbock was adding 5 more frequencies to their EDACS system. I researched it and found the following 5 frequencies listed under the callsign WPFW709 that were not part of the 20 frequencies used for the EDACS system.

1: 855.4625
2: 855.7125
3: 857.4375
4: 858.4375
5: 860.9875 data channel

I put these frequencies into my scanner as conventional frequencies and have been hearing traffic on the first four frequencies. The fifth one I have listed, 860.9875 is some kind of data channel. When my scanner locks up on one of the first four frequencies, I can hit scan again and my scanner will then lock up on a fleet code for whoever is talking at that instant. Then, checking the frequency being used for that fleet code at that moment, it will show one of the 20 frequencies that ARE listed as part of the EDACS system. My question is what is going on here with transmitting simultaneously on one of the first four frequencies I have listed above and one of the 20 frequencies that are part of the EDACS system.

Another mystery: By going to the FCC database via the Lubbock County page on RR, the above 5 frequencies are listed as being part of the callsign WPFW709. But if you go to the main database page and enter the above frequencies individually to see who uses them in the state of Texas, none of the 5 frequencies comes up as being used in Lubbock.

Anyone know what's going on?

twobytwo

860.9875 is the freq for the MDTs (laptop computers).This is not a new freq it has been licensed when the original 2o channels wre licensed.Some more trvia: on the PD cars the little 3 inch antenna is for the MDTs . The longer antenna with the corkscrew at the base is for the two way .Thanks for the heads up on the added freqs

prtzel

Thanks for the heads up on the MDT frequency. Yeah, I knew that the little antenna was for the MDT and the cork screw antenna was for the EDACS system. If you will also notice that their new cars do not have the long 18 inch whip for the wireless mics. That's because they are going to a new wireless mic that is on some 900 MHz frequency according to someone else I know. And the officer's are now carrying a mic on their duty belt which is a little bigger than a pager. But according to my sources they don't like it because if you get more than fifty feet away from the car, the signal doens't get picked up by the video system in the car. And the little unit they carry, the battery only lasts for about half the shift. And forget about trying to listen in even if you find out what frequecy the wireless mics are on because it is encrypted.

twobytwo

Prtzl, I programmed the 4 new frqs in & hear transmissions every once in a while, but there are some strange charesteristics<SP> on the new freqs. There is not the EDACS beeps after the transmissions
;I only hear the dispatcher of the Pd ,no mobiles;the signal is weak like it is Low power. Is this a different type of system or is it being phased in. It doesnt really appear to be used in the trunking system. Can you explain the purpose of the new frequencies ? The 20 freqs presently being used seemed to be enough to handle all the traffic or am I wrong?

Last edited:

prtzel

No I can't explain the purpose of these new freqs. That's why I posted the info, hoping someone else could shed some light on the subject. I have noticed that I only hear dispatchers on the new freqs. And yes, I also noticed that you don't hear the long "repearter trail" with the beep...beep....beep that you hear on the EDACS frequencies. Hopefully someone else can give some info on this.

prtzel

Also, the dispatchers I hear are from the PD, Fire dept., EMS and S.O. I have been listening to these new freqs for 2-3 months, all times of the day and night and I have never heard any other dispatchers from any other departments, i.e. LP&L, water utilities, street dept., etc. What ever is going on seems to be just the emergency services have access to these freqs.

cundiff

prtzel said:
Thanks for the heads up on the MDT frequency. Yeah, I knew that the little antenna was for the MDT and the cork screw antenna was for the EDACS system. If you will also notice that their new cars do not have the long 18 inch whip for the wireless mics. That's because they are going to a new wireless mic that is on some 900 MHz frequency according to someone else I know. And the officer's are now carrying a mic on their duty belt which is a little bigger than a pager. But according to my sources they don't like it because if you get more than fifty feet away from the car, the signal doens't get picked up by the video system in the car. And the little unit they carry, the battery only lasts for about half the shift. And forget about trying to listen in even if you find out what frequecy the wireless mics are on because it is encrypted.
As of 10-18-06 wireless mics are still on 170.2500-not encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.