Lucas County EMS Med Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDawgEMT22

I am having an issue hearing the Bus to Hospital channels. I hear the bus request the med channel to so and so on Med 10, but I cant hear any of the other 1-9. I am using the 463.0250 on up to 463.1750 on up in the .025 steps....Am i missing something...

smartboy06

Premium Subscriber
I don't think Lucas County repeats the transmissions on the med channels...so you have to listen to the "input" (term used loosely) frequencies 468.0-468.175 to hear paramedic traffic. As far as hospitals go, unless you're in range on the 463 freqs, you're SOL...

ctpd845

Feed Provider
On the Lucas County med channels you will hear the EMS call the hospital on the input frequency and the hospital will respond on the repeater output frequency.

denseglow

I don't understand why they don't just throw them onto repeaters.

Last edited:

mdulrich

Feed Provider
denseglow said:
I don't understand why they don't just throw them onto repeaters.

Repeaters typically are used to give good mobile/portable to mobile/portable coverage or to get a better signal from units far removed from the base unit. This isn't necessary on Med channels since the communications only need to go to the base station. If the EMS units are getting into the base units with a good signal there is no need to repeat. Couple that with the cost of repeaters, towers, etc. it could get rather expensive.

Mike

FireDawgEMT22

Ok well then here is my question. I dont listen as a full enthusiast per say. I am a FF/EMT here in my town, and I listen to the Police here, the Wood County Fire Dispatch and the Lucas County Med channels to hear whats goin on in my neighborhood, and what other departments around me have. So with that said I only have a little Uniden BC350A with a small (24") Magnetic Mount CB antenna about 3/4 way up my TV antenna. Connected by regular CB coax. I cant get any of the med channels and as of recently I cannot get the Wood County Fire Dispatch (I have to rely on my pager) What can I do to allow me to hear all the things I want. I also have something I found at a buddies house a few years back...it has a switch to turn it on and off and another switch to switch between AM and SSB. It takes a 12VDC power input and has an input and output (labelled ANT and CB) for coax. Im not sure if it is a booster of some sort or not. Would putting this inline help anything. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money. Mainly looking for things to easily and for very low cost to be able to hear the Wood County Fire Dispatch and Lucas County Med Channels.

denseglow

I live in Holland, and I hear LCEMS and Wood County Fire Fine. Wood County fire does not use repeaters tho, so most of the time you will only be able to hear the base unless you're close to the mobile. if you dont mind me asking where are you and what department are you with?

FireDawgEMT22

I am in Rossford, answer to both ?'s. I know Wood County doesnt repeat, but I can get most of the departments, If dispatched locally here or from BG with my pager. Just odd that i cant get it with my scanner. I guess it is the antenna i am using.

denseglow

Hmm, you might be able to answer a long time mystery for me. Who dispatches BGFD?!?! I've been looking for years!

denseglow

Hmm, you might be able to answer a long time mystery for me. Who dispatches BGFD?!?! I've been looking for years!

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
FireDawgEMT22 said:
I am in Rossford, answer to both ?'s. I know Wood County doesnt repeat, but I can get most of the departments, If dispatched locally here or from BG with my pager. Just odd that i cant get it with my scanner. I guess it is the antenna i am using.

Yes it is the antenna you are using. You are trying to receive 150 MHz frequencies
with an antenna designed to work on 27 MHz. With it being a mag mount is it pointed
vertical or horizontal? It had better be vertical for optimal reception. It might work for you, but it doesn't work well.

I also have something I found at a buddies house a few years back...it has a switch to turn it on and off and another switch to switch between AM and SSB. It takes a 12VDC power input and has an input and output (labelled ANT and CB) for coax. Im not sure if it is a booster of some sort or not. Would putting this inline help anything.
That will not help you whatsoever, do not even think about using it.

I dont want to spend a whole lot of money. Mainly looking for things to easily and for very low cost to be able to hear the Wood County Fire Dispatch and Lucas County Med Channels.
I don't know what you are considering a whole lot of money, but if you want to get decent local reception, you'll still have to spend something.

About the cheapest way you can go without building your own antenna is this one from Radio Shack: http://tinyurl.com/yj4h2l

You're only other low cost way to go, is to buy a scanner mag mount antenna and mount it on a file cabinet in your residence preferrably close to a window.

Give up on the CB mag mount.

FireDawgEMT22

Funny thing is, I was looking at that one last night. I was thinking that would be what i need, but wasnt sure. Yes the CB Mag mount points up. I am listening on 150's and 460's so i figured that would be the right antenna also. And as far as the little black box..you said it wouldnt help at all, but then said dont even think about using it. Curious if there is an unsaid reason why you said it that way. thanks alot

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
FireDawgEMT22 said:
And as far as the little black box..you said it wouldnt help at all, but then said dont even think about using it. Curious if there is an unsaid reason why you said it that way. thanks alot
Without actually seeing what it is and from your description of it, it sounds like
a transmitter amplifier. It would not only not help with your scanner, but as a powered device it could harm the scanner.
The bottom line is....it is not made to be used in that application, don't do it.

FireDawgEMT22

Ok sounds good. Thanks alot. I just went out to Radio Shak and picked up that antenna. Its mounted about 25-30 feet up. Hopefully thats high enough. See how it helps

n8vur

Feed Provider
I saw in another thread that you're still have trouble receiving the Wood County Fire Dispatch.... is it possible that your scanner is 1) deaf as a post or otherwise broken or 2) set to only listen for a specific PL tone on the frequency?

Those are really the only two things that jump out at me as the moment.

FireDawgEMT22

well it isnt a big time scanner. It s a Uniden BC350A as far as i know about it you can only program frequencies into banks to scan. nothing more complicated than that. the funny thing is the local PD is dispatched in Lake Township. same place as our fire and lake township fire is dispatched from. Yet I cant get the fire but can get the police.

FireDawgEMT22

Well i went out and got a new scanner today, a Radio Shack PRO-433. I started getting the Wood County Fire Dispatch a little bit. Not great, but i put a BNC splitter on the antenna in and hooked one end up to the outdoor antenna i have and then the other end to the telescopic antenna that came with it, and now i get the Wood County Dispatch, even the Mid County units, I get the St Charles med channel, and the St V's but i still cant get the busses talking to them. working on it..thanks for the help guys

Your antenna cable is the single biggest issue as you get up in frequency. I would suggest using RG6-U cable and quadshield connectors.
A new antenna and coax will help out a lot. Keep your antenna AWAY from the TV tower if it is NOT on the very TOP - then you will need an 'arm' made of treated wood or fiberglas to get the antenna metal away from the tower metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.