Luzerne county best scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB3DYE

Silent Key
As we all know Luzerne county will be upgrading it's repeater based VHF comm system with a trunked VHF format--it'll be P25. Can anyone recommend aa scanner which is computer programmable? I'd especially like to hear for those who are monitoring a trunked system

kmacka

Bob,

Do you happen to know which P25 system it will be? Will it be phase 1 or phase 2. This will affect me as well, I may need to upgrade. Lackawanna and Luzerne has always be conventional.

Can anyone recommend aa scanner which is computer programmable? I'd especially like to hear for those who are monitoring a trunked system
I recommend the Uniden 996P2 scanner.

It handles trunked systems.

It's programmable via PC using a program like Freescan.

Good luck!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's going to be Phase II, and it's going to be simulcast, so you need to consider the effects of simulcast distortion and multipath when choosing a scanner or receiver. At this point your best and safest choices would be either the Uniden SDS series, or a Unication G Series pager/receiver.

Any other scanner, including other Uniden models such as the one recommended in the post above mine, were not designed to handle simulcast modulation. You are taking a gamble with any scanner other than the Uniden SDS series, so be forewarned.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If it's P25 and simulcast, the SDS or Unication would be the most reliable. You *may* get lucky with a HP-2 or 996P2, but it's a crapshoot depending on your exact location, down to what room in your house that the radio is used - and even what corner of your desk, lol.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Currently my feed is being fed by a 536HP. When the change to the new system takes place I’m moving that to my vehicle to replace my 996XT and will replace the 536HP with an SDS 200. I do have the SDS 100 already and aside from absolutely HATING the usb cable being used to program and power it it has worked amazing when I have traveled to areas that have already gone to a P25 system. I’m hopeful the SDS 200 will work just as well.

I’m not sure of the timeframe to make the switch though. Last I saw they were still accepting bids for tower construction as of a few months ago. I’m terrible with the FCC searches when I’ve tried using it for this system and for the new PSP P25 system but I have yet to see anything applied for as far as frequencies for the new system. I very much doubt they’ll meet their 2020 deadline to get off of our existing system. But then again I don’t trust the county to do anything right. Maybe they’ll prove me wrong for once.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
It's always sad to hear one of our radio enthusiasts passing, RIP Bob. My wife & I are going to park on the Wyoming Valley Mall to do some monitoring on Thur 8/20 for the Potus visit; I haven't found any freqs for that Mall; any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been in Luzerne Co since the last WB Scranton air show; so it will be nice to get away from home here in Reading and see some different scenery and hear some unencrypted LE comms.

Rich - N3VMY - KAG0096

ra7850

Premium Subscriber
It's always sad to hear one of our radio enthusiasts passing, RIP Bob. My wife & I are going to park on the Wyoming Valley Mall to do some monitoring on Thur 8/20 for the Potus visit; I haven't found any freqs for that Mall; any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been in Luzerne Co since the last WB Scranton air show; so it will be nice to get away from home here in Reading and see some different scenery and hear some unencrypted LE comms.

Rich - N3VMY - KAG0096
Rich,

Many of the stores in the mall have closed although there are some that are open. I'm not far from there and travel near there frequently. I'll take a ride up that way today at some point and just sit and see what I can detect. From a MilAir perspective, you should be able to pickup as far south as NJ, the Indiantown Gap ranges to the south, and the occasional visitors to the Duke MOA to the west towards Williamsport. The RR db for Luzerne & Lackawanna counties are pretty accurate.

Robert

How you liking your SDS200
I love it. No issues so far, although when side-by-side with the 325P2, each scanner receives stuff that the other misses - and vice versa.

Anyway, it's a great radio. Very flexible!

I'm still looking to buy a 996P2 for my local P2 systems.

Last edited:

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Rich,

Many of the stores in the mall have closed although there are some that are open. I'm not far from there and travel near there frequently. I'll take a ride up that way today at some point and just sit and see what I can detect. From a MilAir perspective, you should be able to pickup as far south as NJ, the Indiantown Gap ranges to the south, and the occasional visitors to the Duke MOA to the west towards Williamsport. The RR db for Luzerne & Lackawanna counties are pretty accurate.

Robert
Thank you much Robert. My wife has Parkinson disease, she had a bad day yesterday; so it all depends on how she feels if we make it there or not; but I really appreciate your help.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.