Lv Ks Department Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
When any given Department switches from Analog to Digital, are they not re assigned a new frequency
from analog to Digital ?

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
When any given Department switches from Analog to Digital, are they not re assigned a new frequency
from analog to Digital ?

Not necessarily. Analog and digital are simply methods of encoding, transmitting and recoding data to a usable format electronically. An agency could maintain their same frequency and simply replace their existing repeaters and subscriber units with digital format units. A good example of this is the MOTOTRBO systems that are popping up on existing systems in Kansas- which uses TDMA to add channel capacity without adding frequencies.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thank you for your reply ( KAA951 ) . What is confusing is that if ( lv co FD / EMS ) has gone to digital I am told. & I program them for digital using their analog frequency . I can not get them, BUT ! if I program them for Analog I have no problem. When programing them digital do I still use the analog frequency ? I have the "TAG # " also the department ID # . Should I be using the Analog frequency ? Thanks for the time.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
They are on KSICS trunked system. All their talkgroups are in the RR database.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply ( KAA951 ) . What is confusing is that if ( lv co FD / EMS ) has gone to digital I am told. & I program them for digital using their analog frequency . I can not get them, BUT ! if I program them for Analog I have no problem. When programing them digital do I still use the analog frequency ? I have the "TAG # " also the department ID # . Should I be using the Analog frequency ? Thanks for the time.

Can you please be more specific as to what frequency you are referring to? Is this possibly the VHF frequency that they use for paging / station alerting? While they moved their dispatch and operations to the KSICS 800Mhz digital trunking system, they likely left their existing VHF paging frequency as analog.

Without getting too technical as to the reasons, this is common practice. If you want to know more, there is a good discussion here:
http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t119035/

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I thought that when a Department switched from Analog to Digital that they also changed to a new frequency for Digital. LV CO FD / EMS uses 154.3850 on Analog . I tried different way's to see if they would work on Digital but no success. So I thought I was doing something wrong, OR if they really went to Digital ? Sorry for the confusion.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
I thought that when a Department switched from Analog to Digital that they also changed to a new frequency for Digital. LV CO FD / EMS uses 154.3850 on Analog . I tried different way's to see if they would work on Digital but no success. So I thought I was doing something wrong, OR if they really went to Digital ? Sorry for the confusion.

No worry. So that explains it- their "old" VHF channel remained analog and is used for paging / station alerting. However, all their operations and dispatch are on the 800Mhz state digital radio system. Out of curiosity, are you only hearing them page calls on the 154.385 or is all their dispatch traffic rebroadcast on it from the trunked radio system?

SCPD

QRT
They are toned out on Analog 154.385, but you can hear them talking as they are paged out ? & of course they go to support channel. Does this make sense ?

nec911

They are toned out on Analog 154.385, but you can hear them talking as they are paged out ? & of course they go to support channel. Does this make sense ?

The Leavenworth folks are multi-casting on both the VHF and the KSICS when they do their pageouts. Depending on the department they page them one KSICS on several different talkgroups. EMS has been paging on 4216 and their VHF, Fairmont Fire is 4226 and their VHF and the rest have been paging on 4214 and VHF. I have them in my scanner at the EOC and hear them a lot but I don't always catch them so that list could change.

There was a rumor that Leavenworth might make the change to what Coffey County did so they can save money on pagers. Coffey county has been successful so far, but from what I heard there is a large amount of politics involved in it in Leavenworth.

SCPD

QRT
NEC911: Thanks for the reply on Leavenworth. Well Sir,you said a mouth full about Leavenworth when
you said " POLITICS ARE INVOLVED " Leavenworth will NEVER change because of the politics, that alone has ALL WAYS hurt LV. Thanks for the time.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
There was a rumor that Leavenworth might make the change to what Coffey County did so they can save money on pagers..

I am not familiar- what was Coffey County's answer to the fire paging conundrum? I have heard of agencies relying on commercial cell carriers for text alerting to cell phones, but based on my experiences around disasters and major emergencies I don't put too much faith in cell phones!

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar- what was Coffey County's answer to the fire paging conundrum? I have heard of agencies relying on commercial cell carriers for text alerting to cell phones, but based on my experiences around disasters and major emergencies I don't put too much faith in cell phones!

I think Osage County went to some type of text alerting for "paging" out their fire departments. Not sure if it's cellular based or via RF, though. During a major disaster (tornado strikes in particular), cell networks are going to be locked up or flat out inoperable (anyone remember the outbreak of 2003 or the Joplin event?).

firefive76

Coffey County simply has a talkgroup for each fire department that they receive their calls on.

Osage County uses voice pagers, alpha pagers, and texting. The alpha paging system sends out texts at the same time. The alpha paging system is county-owned, not commercial.

nec911

They assigned a talk group to each fire department that was for paging only. They set up their radios so that talk group has priority. Their PSAP then sets off tones across the appropriate talk group for the appropriate agency. Kinda like that they do here in Shawnee County for the City Fire except there is no data, it is just alert tones 1, 2, or 3 and voice.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
They assigned a talk group to each fire department that was for paging only. They set up their radios so that talk group has priority. Their PSAP then sets off tones across the appropriate talk group for the appropriate agency. Kinda like that they do here in Shawnee County for the City Fire except there is no data, it is just alert tones 1, 2, or 3 and voice.

That works- except I really wouldn't want to have to walk around with a portable radio all the time! It is nice to have a two-tone pager that I can set to vibrate only / discrete mode when I am at events, church and in meetings!

Status
Not open for further replies.