LV Medevac & Nextel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

I have been monitoring the new Lehigh Valley Hospital Medevac frequency from the start of the switch over and have been curious if anybody knows how Nextel radios are linked into the UHF system?

Every once in awhile they do testing and when they key up you hear the distinct Nextel chirp and drop beep. However not all the time only when testing.. During normal operations the chirp is gone but once in awhile u still p/up the drop beep. The other day MEDEVAC was having problems and most pilot transmissions were all "Garbled".

I am guessing with the patch to Omaha, NB to LIFECOMM its easier to communicate this way but curious on how the system works. Almost like a VHF to UHF link but from Nextel to UHF.

464.2000Mhz PL107.2 is Primary and PL82.5 is used for other helicopters like Geisinger and PENNSTAR have been herd.

Thanks
Steve

ocguard

Many interoperability devices, such as the ACU 1000 can integrate conventional radio to iDEN Nextel systems, as well as other cellular phone systems.

clifford1

I'm not 100% sure myself, but units like the ACU-1000 are good suspects for their interconnect between the UHF and IDEN / NEXTEL radios. The audio is a little garbled at times, but if you think about it, this is a pretty awesome communication system (Nationwide Direct Connect comunication with comm center in Nebraska and any airborne helicopter within range of the UHF repeater - all from your nextel)

I know for a fact those guys have a couple of "radio gurus" on the payroll! Great job!.

Chris C.

Steveradio

I will admit I'm impressed with the set-up and seems to be holding up pretty good.

Sounds like the pilots have been using 123.025 air to air to communicate with each other as well when in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.