LWIN and FCC narrowband mandate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-B

While searching the internet I came across this article from 2012 about a request from Louisiana to the FCC for an extension to the Dec. 31, 2016 deadline for converting LWIN frequencies to a 6.25 KHz bandwidth. The article has information on the hundreds of millions of dollars that it will cost to do such a conversion. Given the current financial condition of the state it appears that funding such conversion will be next to impossible and some anticipate an exodus of various agencies from the system. Here is the article:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...5kcQzLkIHuJCtERApFaCnw&bvm=bv.150729734,d.eWE The link goes to a text document.

My question is, since this is from 2012, does anyone know the current status of the request for an extension, does anyone know how the conversion will be paid for or if it is even possible, and what will happen to LWIN?

Tim-B

Well, I am glad a govt agency finally did something that makes sense. It would have been terrible to jeopardize a system that works very well, had achieved its goal of interoperability, and is one of the best in the nation because of that 6.25 KHz rule.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Additionally...

HI Tim,

If memory serves, prior to that 2016 rule, LWIN received a waiver from narrowbanding. I recall reading
that this had the stipulation, that if needed, it would be LWIN's job to mititgate any problems where it bordered with other states.

Regards,

JB

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
LWIN is about to force itself to do it anyway with overcrowding on sites about to become an big issue in the very near future. They have forced themselves into a corner that only going narrow and Phase II (TDMA) will fix. Point in case... Having to overload sites with that valuable and always super rare commodity known as frequencies, especially noted with the greater NOLA area... When if they had went ahead and begun the process of upgrades years ago, they would not be looking at the bigger, and bigger costs they are facing the longer they delay it. 30 Freqs on sites, and needing more, more, more? If you had it ready and were using TDMA, hmmm.... You would have essentially 58 or 59 usable talk/data paths on that 30 freq site, not just 28 with 40 users needing them... Anyway. This is the reason MSWIN was designed to be TDMA ready from the ground up, and all users told in advance to be ready, and now, told its time to move on it. The same reason AWIN is going through upgrades to move to Phase II, and the reason TXWARN is also designed for Phase II. Yes, LWIN is one of the top 5 Statewide P25 TRS out there, alongside MSWIN, TACN, etc... But it is starting to feel the pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.