LWIN Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
Not to scare anyone, but I heard yesterday that the State Police is going to encrypt their talkgroups within a year for the sole purpose making sure they only buy the Motorola radios. I know alot of troopers have the EF Johnson portables and mobiles. I was told the EJ Johnson can't do the same software encryption that the XTS5000's and 2500's can. Does anyone have an inside that could say yes or no to this? Sound's like its a radio shop's idea to make sure they keep the business.

n5ims

Do I understand this correctly? The State Police has issued EF Johnson radios to their troopers and is now going to encrypt their transmissions to force them to junk these radios and buy new Motorola ones? Why would the State Police do something this stupid? If they want to junk the radios and buy Motorolas, why not just buy the Motorolas and swap out the EF Johnsons without going through the trouble of encryption?

Remember, it's the state that owns the system, not the radio shop. If the state only wants Motorolas on their system, they can lock out the others. I think your information (at least on why this would happen) isn't accurate.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
The state police has issued some, like they purchased some to try. Most people have the XTS5000's. I just heard they were going to start the software encryption so they could only use Motorola radios. I was wondering why they would do this myself and was asking if anyone had an inside that could let us know what's up. I am by no means saying this is true or going to happen. It's a rumor I'm trying to get an answer too.

gpswx4cster

Just because the radio has encryption installed, does mean that they will use it. What you heard is just a way for the State to say "we only want motorola radios" to avoid E.F. Johnson from being the low bidder. If an agency specifies that the radio need "x type encryption" then other vendors can't be in the bidding process.

SOUTH300

True

I did not hear that the State was going to do this, but we have done this in Lafayette. All of our 700mhz talkgroups are encrypted with Motorola ADP software encryption. Therefore, Motorola is the only radios that we can use on our system. I am not saying that this was done to eliminate any other manufacturers radios, In fact it may be because of cost. It was less than $10 per radio to have ADP encryption. I guess if the State wants to encrypt their talkgroups, this would be the way to go when you have that many radios to equip.

red8

I will agree with Gary, on that. When EBR went to 800 in the late 80's to early 90's, we had DVP programmed into the radios. But the only people that used the DVP option was the SWAT teams, Narcotics and upper echelon

Status
Not open for further replies.