Lynksys

Status
Not open for further replies.

apd3190

I have a wireless g 2.4 ghz network adapter hooked up to one of my computers. After i clicked on an update for my computer it stoped working and will not reconnect. Any ideas what went wrong?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I have a wireless g 2.4 ghz network adapter hooked up to one of my computers. After i clicked on an update for my computer it stoped working and will not reconnect. Any ideas what went wrong?

Go to Linksys® by Cisco » Home and find a driver for your model adapter and OS. Also, you can check what updates your PC took. If there was one for that adapter, roll it back to the previous version.

apd3190

I guess i will try to figure out what the comp did during the update. I have the origonal disk that came with the adapter and it still didnt work so im not sure the link will help. Besides that i cant get online with it to get the link access.

WouffHong

Connecting without Router

Just plug the Cable or DSL Modem Cable directly into the PC. ;-) (Skip the router) :roll:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I guess i will try to figure out what the comp did during the update. I have the origonal disk that came with the adapter and it still didnt work so im not sure the link will help. Besides that i cant get online with it to get the link access.

Why can't you use the computer you're on now to get the driver and copy it to a CD or a USB drive?

Just plug the Cable or DSL Modem Cable directly into the PC. ;-) (Skip the router) :roll:

apd3190 I think he's trying to tell you to do that to get the driver from Linksys' site. Plus, this will be a good test to see if there may be other networking issues with the laptop. If plugged directly into the router or modem, then there are other issues with the laptop. He also suggested to plug it directly into the modem suggesting that it might be the router; but if the PC you are using now is going though the router, then it may be OK. Also, if the PC you are using now is on the same network and is wired, I would look at the wireless settings on either the laptop and/or the router/AP.

Last edited:

apd3190

I Appriciate your help and will do what i can.. just not a comp guy. I have received some help here before and all i can say is thank you. I will try what you say

KB0VWG

System restore

You can also do a system restore to restore the pc back before this update was downloaded,Then you mite be able to get back online again. system restore says it does not lose any files or pictures when it does a restore but it allways good to make a backup of your files and photos just in case.. Did this upgrade internet explorer 8 if it did sometimes that could mess things up too. Have done several restore on the pcs that i work on so far no issue with any of them but you never know what could happen.
Michael
kb0vwg

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
If you are using IE Explorer... go to Tools... Internet Options... Advanced Tab... Click on Restore Advanced Settings and Reset. Turn off your computer, router and DSL/Cable modem. Then with all cables hooked up... start the DSL/Cable modem (wait until all the lights are on) then start your router (wait for all the lights to come on) then start your computer.

KB0VWG

Does it even see the wireless network at all?? open command prompt and do a ipconfig and what is the ip address it is giving you it should be something like 192.168 etc.If you get an ip address try to a ping Yahoo! If you get 4 replies from yahoo then the internet is there but the browser is not working.
Michael
kb0vwg

if you havent updated your drivers, forget all the other stuff said in this post (no offence intended to others who posted)...drivers are the key to all control over the device. Go to the link above, and find the driver updates..

When Windows write new updates, they release relavent information to the hardware manufacturers(if an update has hardware control specific changes) so they can update drivers to match...and work properly with windows. Usually windows will release this information well ahead of the updates, so the hardware folks can have their updates ready, if needed.

Throw away the original disk you got with the device, cause those drivers are definatly out of date..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.