Lyon County/Emporia KS L.E., Fire & EMS Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefive76

Lyon Co SO has been using KSICS quite a bit, but everyone else there is still on UHF. They are in the process of building their 800MHz system (adding towers to KSICS) at this time.

nec911

Update to the Lyon County Project.

The city and county public safety radio project is progressing on schedule despite the coronavirus pandemic.
During the Lyon County Commission's weekly action session Thursday morning, Lyon County Emergency Manager Jarrod Fell submitted a request to secure the latest piece of needed equipment to continue the project's advancement. Fell requested payment in the amount of $9,903 to install a new continuous fiber from the Lyon County Courthouse to the Emporia Police Department.
The fiber will be connected to a dish that will be installed on the Courthouse roof to serve as a link between tower sites. According to Fell, the dish was originally meant to be installed on the roof of White Auditorium, however, further research showed the structure would not be suitable for housing the equipment.
Once installed the dish will emit a microwave link which will allow for communication between each of the emergency radio system's tower sites. Fell tells KVOE News at this time the radio project has not been hampered by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and is still on schedule to be completed by summer of this year as originally planned.

dgruver911

Have it on good authority that Lyon County should be switching over to KSICS very soon. Seward County shouldn't be too far behind.

kronosjones

They seem to have this up and running for the most part. The listed control channel seems incorrect, I'm listening currently on 855.4625 using an RTL-SDR and Raspberry Pi 3 B+. The control channel I listed will provide the voice channels for EPD, LCSO, L-CAT, KTA at I335 & I35, and I believe the road maintenance crews. I'm working on getting my setup streaming on Broadcastify, so we'll see what happens.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
They seem to have this up and running for the most part. The listed control channel seems incorrect, I'm listening currently on 855.4625 using an RTL-SDR and Raspberry Pi 3 B+. The control channel I listed will provide the voice channels for EPD, LCSO, L-CAT, KTA at I335 & I35, and I believe the road maintenance crews. I'm working on getting my setup streaming on Broadcastify, so we'll see what happens.
I don't even see that freq listed on the KSICS page. after looking at the FCC info that freq you listed is a relay freq. But it seems like I don't hear as much chatter as one would expect so i dont' know why. I am using a PSR500 and sometimes it lands on a local talkgroup in LYCO and yet i don't hear any audio and then when it comes in at the last second i miss most of the transmission. So frustrating. the digital trunk isn't as reliable to me at least with this scanner, as the analog radios they had.

Last edited:

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Because nobody has submitted the data for the 4 new sites.
so we might need some of these new freqs to hear most the communications? I don't hear as much chatter as one would expect so i wonder if that's why? Would most the local chatter be on those new sites? I have all the nearby control channels for KDOT towers btw. i get about 3 towers coming in.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I did a freq search and found another control channel. must be either the tower by Olpe or Northern Heights because it's not as strong a signal. Its' 857.437500. I'm using a PSR-500 and a Scantenna antenna about 25ft in the air. dang I'm glad my antenna held up all these years after reading the other day that it's discontinued!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.