Lyons / Cook County / Lake County

Status
Not open for further replies.

u7string

Premium Subscriber
Next week I will be spending a few days working in Lyons, IL, and staying at a hotel near Midway. I also plan to visit some family in Round Lake at some point. I have a Home Patrol 1, and a Unication G4. Main listening interest is with public safety, primarily police.

Should I pack both the HP 1 and the G4, or just one of them? What systems should I concentrate on?

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Forget about monitoring Lyons PD or FD. They are on the 100% totally encrypted Cook County 800 MHz trunked system. As far as the other entities, check out the listings here on Radio Reference, or another member will have the frequencies and/or talk groups you're looking for on this message thread.

u7string

Premium Subscriber
Forget about monitoring Lyons PD or FD. They are on the 100% totally encrypted Cook County 800 MHz trunked system. As far as the other entities, check out the listings here on Radio Reference, or another member will have the frequencies and/or talk groups you're looking for on this message thread.

Well that sucks. Here in Harford Co MD, they have 2 dedicated encrypted channels they’ll use as needed, or will transmit something encrypted on their regular channels when needed, otherwise it’s open. I don’t understand why an agency feels that 100% of their communications need to be encrypted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Round Lake PD and FD are VHF and Clear as is most of Lake co FD's, Lyons FD is still on VHF 154.250 unless something has changed very recently.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I live by Midway in Chicago and try to submit information to the database to keep it current. As others posted, Lyons PD is encrypted on the Cook County node, but the Fire is in the clear as posted.

If you're going to be staying around Midway, CPD Zone 6 (8th District) is the police District around Midway or if you happen to be staying in the Bedford Park,IL Hotel Center, their PD is 470.5875 and Fire is 155.5575.

Illinois State Police are on a P25 Phase 1 simulcast system which your G4 would come in handy. Site 1-01 or Site 1-02 in the database would be helpful.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
I'd suggest packing both radios with ya. The only thing I'll add on top of what other have said is when you're in Lyons, you can try tuning into 158.745 (CTCSS of 151.4) which is basically an alternate freq for police, fire, and public works, but isn't very active.

Status
Not open for further replies.