M/A COM Channels Magazine story on PA-STARNet OpenSky system

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
See the new M/A-COM Channels Magazine for a story on PA's system:

http://www.macom-wireless.com/Channels/Volume8 Issue2.pdf

I'm always slightly amused by the participating agencies list since I know for a fact that some of those agencies have maybe a handful of radios actually "operating" on the system.

I've been paying close attention to PSP traffic lately and noticed that we seem to have passed another projected migration date with no changes...at least in the SE part of the state. Anyone notice a reduction in or complete disappearance of PSP traffic in their areas?

On a slightly unrelated topic, anyone know of other OpenSky systems being rolled out besides these:

Commonwealth of PA (near completion)
Cumberland County, PA (operational)
Lancaster County, PA (terminated?)
Allegheny County, PA (unknown if still planned)
Oakland County, MI (near completion)
State of New York (under development)
FedEx (operational)
Peoria County, IL (under development)
Milwaukee, WI (under development)
Clark County/Las Vegas, NV (under development)
Central Arizona Project (regional water authority), AZ (operational?)

I never know where to post questions regarding OpenSky systems here at RR since there is really little interest overall. The M/A-COM board seems gearded toward their monitorable product lines.

Last edited:

talviar

Ben,

This article brings up an interesting point. . . in 1998 (if I am not mistaken) Motorola was rejected because their proposal for a statewide system (due to technology limitations) was for a 7 smartzone systems interconnected with some other platform to allow a user in pittsburgh to talk to a user in harrisburg (not needed most of the time but occasionally)
i.e. wide area motorola smartzone network with minimal user intervention required.

Ma/Com won since their system would allow 1 system to perform in place of "7" systems.
The graphic shown on page 9 shows 7 "zones" connected to allow communication between the zones.

Makes me wonder how this whole system is truly set up. . . . .

Tony

bauker

Since some time in Dec 2007, there has been a huge reduction in PSP traffic on the conventional channel for Berks County PA.

rmiles

benrussellpa said:
I never know where to post questions regarding OpenSky systems here at RR since there is really little interest overall. The M/A-COM board seems gearded toward their monitorable product lines.

Not true. We frequently discuss OpenSky on that forum. Just search that board for anyone of the following; OpenSky, OpenScam, ClosedSky, etc. ;-}

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
bauker said:
Since some time in Dec 2007, there has been a huge reduction in PSP traffic on the conventional channel for Berks County PA.

PSP Reading or Hamburg? I still hear traffic on Channel E all day long. Both stations use this channel, although I cannot say I've been paying enough attention to say that both stations are still equally active.

Are you just hearing less car stop traffic or less traffic overall? The first would be affected by use of MDT's.

bauker

OK, today I am hearing a lot of traffic on the Reading channel, Hamburg units etc. There for a few weeks voice traffic was down overall, and I wasn't hearing "EMS responding" advisories and such. Not sure about traffic stops.

ctrabs74

bauker said:
OK, today I am hearing a lot of traffic on the Reading channel, Hamburg units etc. There for a few weeks voice traffic was down overall, and I wasn't hearing "EMS responding" advisories and such. Not sure about traffic stops.

It's almost the exact opposite with Embreeville. For starters, Embreeville doesn't do the "EMS responding" advisories for most routine EMS jobs in it's area, or at least not as much as Skippack does. I'm wondering the EMS advisories that's an element of the CDC procedures or if that's a local barracks thing.

I do hear a lot of car stop traffic (at least I think it's car stops; unless they're on 30 between Thorndale and Lancaster Av exits, I can't say for sure - thanks, PSP duplex!) on Embreeville, so I'd guess they don't use the MDT's as much out here as they do in Berks.

Avondale, OTOH, does more BOLO traffic, mostly on the US 1 Bypass corridor between Kennett and Oxford, where I don't hear as many BOLOs out of Embreeville (despite the fact that they cover portions of the US 30 Bypass between Sadsbury and East Caln, where I would've thought there would be an equal amount of BOLO traffic).

OT, but worth noting that MA/COM seems to have a made a few glaring errors in it's map on page 4 of the PDF Ben linked to at the top of the thread, which focuses on Miami-Dade Police's EDACS system and it's use during the Super Bowl; the legend in the map reflects that EDACS is used by the City of Miami, Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Palm Beach County - last time I checked, they were all on Moto 800. You'd think with all the money they were getting from us poor taxpayers in Pa. for OpenScam, they could at least hire fact checkers...

HH-65

PSP in Erie

Pretty much the same up here in the "arm pit" of the state, for the past 3 months ( sept- Nov) dispatch has been quiet, units heard when on scene, car to car ect.
since Dec. Iam recieving both again. I figured they were using the MDT's for dispatch.
P.S./ have not heard anything from Girard and Corry Barracks in months.

Premium Subscriber
quote"On a slightly unrelated topic, anyone know of other OpenSky systems being rolled out "
I know of the following.

Newton county GA- Nearing completion
Jackson County GA ( Water authority ) Nearing completion
Jackson EMC GA - Upgrade from standard EDACS to Open Sky on order
City Of Marrietta GA- OPEN SKY finalist for city radio system.
Houston ,TX - bid in for open sky system

Lancaster county wide communications opensky

Quote from the LCWC website
http://www.lcwc.co.lancaster.pa.us

Radio System Update

October 22, 2007

"Lancaster County's radio project has reached a critical juncture in recent months with the vendor of record, M/A-COM. It has been, and continues to be, the Radio Project Committee's mission to field a public safety ready communications system that is both operationally effective and safe. For several months the Committee has participated in conducting tests of the system in typical public safety scenarios with representatives of M/A-COM, the County and the County’s engineering consultants. The committee is not satisfied that the system as it currently operates today, is operationally effective for daily public safety use. Until the Radio Project Committee believes the system appears ready for daily public safety use, the County will not begin formal acceptance testing of the system.

There are many rumors circulating regarding the current status of the project. It needs to be made perfectly clear that until any official announcement is made from the county, these rumors are merely that - rumors. While this has been a long journey for everyone involved, the Radio Project Committee asks for your continued support in making the critical decisions that will affect what will become your communications system.

Finally, many have begun to ask what they should do if the need arises to purchase replacement components for the current system. The answer is that you should make necessary replacement purchases. Again, the Radio Project Committee does not want to hinder current operations until such time that a public safety ready system is fully deployed in Lancaster County.

The Radio Project Committee continues to meet on a regular basis. We will continue to provide you, our Stakeholders with as much information as we can just as soon as information becomes available. Once again, thank you for your continued understanding and support."

I am not speaking on behalf of LCWC i am merely a user of the system.

epdret

I don't know why, but for the past 3 weeks, Honesdale PSP (Wayne Co.) has been utilizing the Blooming Grove PSP (Pike Co.) paired VHF frequencies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
PA Turnpike

I noticed something stated in the original article posted by benrussellpa where it listed the users of the system, it said that the PA Turnpike commission uses the system. Does that mean in the near future they won't be utilizing their VHF frequencies anymore?!
Also, can you still follow MVA's and traffic incidents on the major hwys (with the exception of the Turnpike) in SE PA using the VHF frequencies?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
policefreak said:
I noticed something stated in the original article posted by benrussellpa where it listed the users of the system, it said that the PA Turnpike commission uses the system. Does that mean in the near future they won't be utilizing their VHF frequencies anymore?!
Also, can you still follow MVA's and traffic incidents on the major hwys (with the exception of the Turnpike) in SE PA using the VHF frequencies?

In the Philly area, PSP is still using VHF.
"
Not sure to what extent PTC will use OpenSky since there are so many off-pike contracted services (fire, ems, tow) who would also need new radios. As of now, the PTC VHF repeaters are still alive and well.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Whew!

Yeah, thank goodness for that! True I never thought about all the off-turnpike operators who would need to be in line with the new system. And its also good to hear that the PSP is still using their VHF's as well. I do know that as of a few weeks ago, the PSP Reading channel was very active (I like that channel because you get both sides on a repeater). It is a relief that I can still get the dispatch side of PSP stations near Phila (I can't hear the patrols because I live in New Jersey). So who has noticed a reduction in traffic? And how long before people in the Philly metro area won't be able to listen?

W3PCJ

I live under the shadow of one of the PA-Star Net, Open Sky towers. Albion PA (Erie County) 867.98750 MHz and 868.88750 MHz
There is another one about 8 miles away in Edinboro PA (Erie County). They are both on PENDOT property.
On the 868.88750 MHz frequency it transmit a modem or data signal non-stop 24/7. I would love to know what this signal is. If anyone knows of any programs for a computer to display this I would love to give it a try.

Zack08

You have no idea how much I wish there was software like that. Even software I could use with a 4 level slicer just to see the data bits on the screen and attempt to pick out patterns....hint-hint, anyone want to start working on this? :).

The sites are ALWAYS transmitting so the field units know which tower to affiliate with. When the signal gets choppier (dont know how else to describe it...), thats when the TDMA slots are actually being filled with voice or data.

Steveradio

I have a tower right up the road from me as well. On a corner property right next to the road of course, They consider this site Seiberlingsville and another in Leather Corner Post of the Lehigh Valley.
867.4375 is the control channel, herd even without an antenna in my house.

PSP Troop M is still all VHF and heavy, a lot of traffic as stated before is MDT (Mobile Data Terminal). They seem to like that part of the service.

A few PENNDOT workers I know hate the system and have been using personal cell phones and or CB radios to communicate.

A 911 Operator as I know said they have two radios in the center but are never turned on.

Don't give up on the VHF radios yet, I'm still waiting to see who will take over dispatch for Troop M? Norristown or Harrisburg

Steve

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
A 911 Operator as I know said they have two radios in the center but are never turned on.

Don't give up on the VHF radios yet, I'm still waiting to see who will take over dispatch for Troop M? Norristown or Harrisburg

Steve

One radio should be from PEMA for statewide emergency management use. The other should be from Health as part of their statewide emergency network. Now, why each county had to get two OpenSky control stations is beyond me. One would think they could simply have one radio loaded with the PEMA and DOH profiles. It's not like these things cost money or anything. Maybe there is a logical explanation...I just don't know it.

There should be weekly or monthly (I forget which) radio checks on these radios.

I thought the Norristown CDC would eventually be handling Troop M.

talviar

One radio should be from PEMA for statewide emergency management use. The other should be from Health as part of their statewide emergency network. Now, why each county had to get two OpenSky control stations is beyond me. One would think they could simply have one radio loaded with the PEMA and DOH profiles. It's not like these things cost money or anything. Maybe there is a logical explanation...I just don't know it.

Ben, interesting comment. . . .911 should have a second radio from health. . . is this just eastern area or statewide. . . . health has the radios at hospitals and some of the EMS providers have portables but 911 here (Fayette) hasn't gotten an additional radio.

Curious. . . . very curious. . . . . .

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.