• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M/a Com P5400 Portables??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
YES...Have been using one for 4 months and have had no major issues.
Very solid radio and an exceptional performer in the field. Highly recommend !

otter9309

I have played with one a few times. I like how small it is, but the battery release clips are going to get bent or broken. The release is on each side of the battery and has an open slot that will catch on clothing. It also needs more memory.

I have played with one a few times. I like how small it is, but the battery release clips are going to get bent or broken. The release is on each side of the battery and has an open slot that will catch on clothing. It also needs more memory.

Why does it need memory? AFAIK it's got as much if not more as anything else out there. What are you trying to do with the poor thing? :)

DOH6713

I havent ever used one but have heard alot of positive about them. I have an MRK that i have been using but would like somthing...forgive me for sounding tratorsih...a little more Moto like. I know i just sinned. Anyways if someone could point me in a seller direction i would be greatly appreciative! :)

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
One of my friends is a chief system tech for a large multi-site EDACS system, and he hates the 5400 platform and reports that HALF of the new 5400s they've deployed have come back in need of repair within 3 months.

I personally would avoid such a radio as that like the plague.

I do trust my friend's informed opinion on these.

Elroy

JungleJim

That's probably because they are a "business class" radio and not built to be rugged, but because they're cheap they get handed out to the public works guys. The same thing was true of the PCS and the LPE.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I think that's about right. LPEs, Prisms, and other lower tier radios just aren't built for public safety use. I've been inside enough of them to know!

Use them more gently, and they're reliable enough. Start hammering on them and you'll wish you had an M-PA or M-PD, or in the Motorola world, a Saber. (I'm not really a fan of the durabilty of the XTS series. That really big weathersealing gasket is too big and too liable to fail, plus the housing pressure
on it at the midpoint is kind of low.)

5100s and 7100s have case cracking issues at the lock-down stud below the accessory connector.
I've seen many of those fail. And their gaskets are finicky.

Elroy

L

LS1_TA

I have been using one for about a month. Initially they look neat and smaller. In reality because i use a Higain antenna it digs into my armpit when worn on the belt. This is because the top of the clip is lower than the top of the radio. This makes it ride higher on the waist than a p7100. The batt life is a little shorter and the radio is much thicker than a p7100. This is not a rugged radio.The good points are it says it will do multimode and it is smaller.it is lighter. It would fit better in a purse. It is ok but not for me. I will be going back to my P7100.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Seen them and I would love to have one myself. You will hear good and bad about all radios. I still would take my Motorola xts3k anyday over a macom radio. Now if we could just find a way to get edacs w/provoice on any motorola radio :) That would be the bomb!!! It will never happen but I can dream right. So for the ABQ area I have my LPE200 and my Orion and when I travel or want to carry a real radio I take my Moto radio.

Cheesedoff

More talk groups is a feature option.

That's probably because they are a "business class" radio and not built to be rugged, but because they're cheap they get handed out to the public works guys. The same thing was true of the PCS and the LPE.

The p5400s only difference is that they do only 800 mhz they are no duel 800/700 mhz radios

They have been replaced by the p5500 which adds support for p25 phase 2

http://pspc.harris.com/Portable/P5500.asp

Last edited:

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
The P7300 is the 5400 upgrade for phase II.. the 5400 is just as rugged as the P7300.. It's a very nice well built rugged radio

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
No, P7300 is a totally different radio. As was mentioned, the P5500 is the replacement for the P5400, and adds P25 phase II. The P7300 is P25 phase II capable.

EDACSTECH

I have issued about 100 P7300 Radios to Police Department with very little issues. I have also issued about 20 P5400 radios to other general government departments and have not had one return for service. I currently have 350 P5500 radios on order to replace older model radios. We don't use the OEM battery on the P5400/5500/7300 Series Radio. We have issued a Lithium Polymer Battery.

tbski100

Premium Subscriber
I picked up a 5400 for use on my local EDACS system. Says it has feature 12 Aegis enabled.
When attempting to program it wont recognize the vocoder or something of that nature. Is there a glitch because its P25 that it wont do Aegis even though its enabled in the feature code?

I picked up a 5400 for use on my local EDACS system. Says it has feature 12 Aegis enabled.
When attempting to program it wont recognize the vocoder or something of that nature. Is there a glitch because its P25 that it wont do Aegis even though its enabled in the feature code?
The last radio that Harris/M/A Com made that supported Aegis was the 7100, and I think you have to choose P25 or Aegis - you can't have both. None of the newer radios, beginning with the 7200 have ever supported Aegis.

Status
Not open for further replies.