M/A-COM Successfully Completes Testing Of New York's SWN In Chautauqua & Erie Cos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
M/A-COM Successfully Completes Testing Of New York's SWN In Chautauqua & Erie Cos.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tyco Electronics' M/A-COM Business Unit Successfully Completes Testing Of New York's Statewide Wireless Network In Chautauqua & Erie Counties

[/FONT]LOWELL, Mass. -- March 26, 2008 - Tyco Electronics Ltd. (NYSE: TEL; BSX: TEL) today announced that coverage testing in Erie and Chautauqua Counties, the first phase in the deployment of New York's Statewide Wireless Network (SWN), has been successfully completed by its M/A-COM business. Erie and Chautauqua Counties comprise the Primary Region Buildout (PRB), the first region of SWN to be built.

"Our testing in both Erie and Chautauqua Counties produced data that verified that the SWN provides radio system coverage at high voice quality levels on more than 97 percent of the roadways in each county," said Russ Tremblay, M/A-COM's SWN Project Director. "This formal testing was conducted by M/A-COM, and the results were witnessed, analyzed and reported by the state's test evaluator. Now that our testing is complete, we will turn the PRB over to the New York State Office for Technology (OFT) for the state's testing to begin."

M/A-COM's contract with New York State requires that SWN provide communications coverage on 97 percent of roadways and 95 percent of all areas within each region -- and ultimately across the entire state once SWN is completely built.

As previously agreed in the contract between the company and the State of New York, M/A-COM's formal system testing will be followed by formal system tests conducted by OFT and several other state agencies -- which are expected to take place in April.

"Based on successful coverage testing in Erie and Chautauqua, we are confident that SWN operations within the PRB will meet all requirements. This is the first step in meeting our commitment to building and maintaining a state-of-the-art public safety communications network on behalf of New York's first responders," Tremblay said. "SWN will enhance communications among first responders, serve as a pivotal tool in times of emergencies and disasters, and help ensure the safety of law enforcement officials and the other New Yorkers they are sworn to protect."

http://macom.com/macom_prodnews.asp?ID=1401

D

DaveNF2G

This two-week-old report is already the topic of a thread in the New York forum.

Basically, nobody believes it except M/A-Com and OFT.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Centre Co Pa Rejects Open Sky-wants P25

Proprietary Shared Systems and Standards-based Shared
Systems—Regional shared systems are the optimal solution to
interoperability. While proprietary systems limit the user's choice
of product with regard to manufacturer and competitive procurement,
standards-based shared systems promote competitive
procurement and a wide selection of products to meet specific
user needs. With proper planning of the talk group architecture,
interoperability is provided as a byproduct of system design,
creating an optimal technology solution.

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/911/strategic_radio_plan.pdf

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
DaveNF2G said:
This two-week-old report is already the topic of a thread in the New York forum.

Basically, nobody believes it except M/A-Com and OFT.

yupp... the only ones that need to believe it...NY will soon be Florida

bezking

Kevinbb said:
yupp... the only ones that need to believe it...NY will soon be Florida

Unfortunately, you are correct.
I stand by my position to scrap the whole thing and put in a /\/\ system.

citylink_uk

Database Admin
Please tell me there are people on here who fight to have systems changed purely so they can scan them!

Why isn't anyone coming up with a decent TDMA system. Even though I dont know a thing about the cases involved, I can bet that failures/errors in the politics of a big system contributed to the problems more so than the technology.

All systems work fine if they are planned properly and the plans are followed through.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
"and the plans are followed through"...that's the problem, always and forever.

I have no doubt that any system type you can name works perfectly within its design limitations if implemented as the designing engineers would recommend.

But, sad as it sounds, the people who specify the systems and the people who arrange to
buy the systems and the people who approve the budget for the systems are NEVER the same people.

People who know nothing about radio are involved in the selection of radio systems!

Budget monkeys won't allow the system to be bought at the price quoted by the company's
salesdroids, saying "cut 20 percent or you can't have it" with the result being a system
that falls more than 20 percent short of its goals.

Elroy

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Here's a quick way to save 20%-40% right off the top and get a great system. Don't use /\/\ or Ma/Com. EF Johnson and EADS both have great P25 systems. In fact, the EF Johnson system uses about half of the physical pieces of equipment that a Motorola system uses. You eliminate all the servers (which will in time fail) with an EF Johnson system. Imagine that... a high-end public safety radio system that provides the same coverage, better reliability and a much lower price tag. (Oh yeah, no moving parts either).

ElroyJetson said:
"and the plans are followed through"...that's the problem, always and forever.

I have no doubt that any system type you can name works perfectly within its design limitations if implemented as the designing engineers would recommend.

But, sad as it sounds, the people who specify the systems and the people who arrange to
buy the systems and the people who approve the budget for the systems are NEVER the same people.

People who know nothing about radio are involved in the selection of radio systems!

Budget monkeys won't allow the system to be bought at the price quoted by the company's
salesdroids, saying "cut 20 percent or you can't have it" with the result being a system
that falls more than 20 percent short of its goals.

Elroy

Status
Not open for further replies.