• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M/A COM Tri-chemistry rapid charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDR-94

Hi,

I just bought some brand new 2700mah NiMH battery packs and I have the REV D Tri-chemistry rapid charger.

Isn't the charger supposed to charge discharge cycle 3 times before the battery is ready to use if it's new?

The charger just went straight into rapid charge then top off and completed the charge,but nothing else.I put the battery back in and it doesn't discharge it.It's in rapid charge mode again with the battery.

Is this normal?

TDR-94

OK, I saw this about the discharging.

This feature requires
service shop level adjust-
ment via “Dip Switch” settings

Anyone know what those settings should be?

Thanks

DisasterGuy

I will try pull the service manual up and take a look. We just use a battery analyzer to perform all conditioning and leave the chargers to standard charge. Very few NiMH left on out system any more though with almost everything now moved to LiPoly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDR-94

Ok thanks.

I took the sleeve out to take a look inside.

The DIP switch has 3 positions. First one has ON on one side and 8a on the other,then the other 2 have 2 and 3 on the same side as the 8a on the first and nothing on the other.All 3 switch positions were switched to the same side as the ON position for the first.

There is also a jumper that connects 4pin connections in front of the DIP switch.Then there are 4 more pins next to them that don't have a jumper.

The sleeve also has a jumper that connects the first 4 of 6 pins that are on the side of the sleeve board.

DisasterGuy

Finally got a chance to look this up. The three switches labeled left to right should be ON-ON-ON from the factory. If you want "Discharge First", change them on ON-ON-OFF.

TDR-94

Thanks DisasterGuy!

On mine it just has ON(1)-2-3 with the opposite side of ON for the first being 8a and 1 printed next to each other and the opposite sides of 2 and 3 being blank. Should be the same combination though. I'll give it a try.

Last edited:

TDR-94

I tried it.So far it doesn't seem to be doing anything different than before.The combination of lights to signify "discharging" aren't being displayed. May just be mine.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
I too am looking for this. I flipped the switch as you said, and there is no discharging yet.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Does the J1-8 jumper settings needed changed? Mine does the rapid charge with the DIP switches ON-ON-OFF. I tried playing around with the jumper, but it just disabled the whole charger. Couldn't find any manuals on-line.

Tim

DisasterGuy

The following is for Single-Bay Battery Charger (CH-104560):

The charger will check the positions of the three circuit DIP switches when AC power is applied. The
charger uses the reading obtained for all subsequent operations until it is reset by cycling the AC power.
From these DIP switch positions, the charger adjusts the charger algorithm per Table 6-2.

Attachments

• charger.jpg
    charger.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,287

timkilbride

Database Admin
DiasterGuy,

I appreciate your help on this, but ON-ON-OFF will NOT discharge the battery first. What are the jumpers for directly in front of SW1?

Tim

TDR-94

Thanks for the service info chart DisasterGuy.

Is the charger supposed to display just one orange LED when discharging? The the front panel of the conditioning charger indicates that as discharging mode.

Mine doesn't give that indication so I'm assuming it's not discharging before charging based on that.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Attached is the actual service manual for this charger, 2 things that jump out at me:

At this time, the chargers only condition BT-series battery packs once when they are brand new
(through 3 cycles of charging).

A future release of P7100/P7200 firmware may provide a method to
allow the user to manually configure their battery for another round of conditioning upon the next
insertion into a SMART charger.
and

Harris Corporation’s Tri-Chemistry Chargers, models CH-104560 and CH-104570, are microprocessor
controlled and use a switching power supply to regulate the charge current/voltage. The charge control
microprocessor in the charger reads the pack identification information from the battery memory chip
contained in the P7300, P5400, and P5300 portable radio batteries, and establishes the appropriate charge
profile for Lithium Ion, Nickel Metal Hydride, or Nickel Cadmium packs.

The microprocessor is programmed during manufacturing and is not intended for general revision.
However, provision is provided for service depot level re-programming should it be necessary. The DIP
switches are NOT end-user selectable and must be switched at a depot level service shop.

The charger will check the positions of the three circuit DIP switches when AC power is applied. The
charger uses the reading obtained for all subsequent operation until it is reset by cycling the AC power.
From these DIP switch positions the charger adjusts the charger algorithm per Table 4-1.

So from that, I would say that this is not a possibility on the 7100 platform, and even then it requires the use of SMART batteries. I tested this on my p7300 NiMH pack and it does go thru the discharge cycle properly before charging. Kind of strange they would release this unit without batteries to support it but my guess is they were already looking at the next generation of radios and batteries, legacy support was just a perk.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know where I can find just the sleeves(or cups) for the 700p/7100/7200 line of batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.