• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M7100 help dig ver error

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know not really sure I'm new to ge stuff when I got the radio it said it was programed with a newer version so I used programmer 18 to make a new code plug and wrote it to the radio

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
A lot of Harris dealers won't even sell you the feature unless you bought the radio from them. I went through this a couple of months ago while trying to add a feature to an M7100. Dealer after dealer refused to help. I couldn't believe that Harris was flat out refusing money...

DisasterGuy

Harris themselves doesn't deal with individuals or small customers. Very few systems even are Harris Direct. As for dealers not being too interested, the dealer makes nothing off feature upgrades so if you aren't a customer that is buying radios or accessories from them there is no incentive for them to go through the hassle for you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I understand that, but it just makes it very hard for me to ever look at buying Harris in the future. I've never had an issue with buying from Motorola, either directly via my MOL account or using a Motorola dealer. Harris' business model just seems odd to me.

I also work for a Federal agency that manages a very large Harris system and I can tell you that their horrible business practices don't end with end-users.

DisasterGuy

Interesting. I run a modest system (6 site simulcast / 2500 users) and have never had any issues either with my direct account or through the dealer I use of accessories and extra subscribers. Their business model is a bit odd but remember that they are a company (wholly, not just PSPC) that doesn't blink at contracts less than several million dollars and most of their contracts are in the hundreds of millions or billions in value. A lot of times it appears in corporate culture that they could care less about PSPC division as they are a drop in the bucket in revenue compared to the RF Division (mostly DoD), space division, etc.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I think our problem is a multi-tier problem.

1) We are still under contract/warranty.
2) We only bought XG100P/M series of radios, which are not serviced in Lynchburg
3) Our contacts for service are through Lynchburg, which makes things difficult and slows things down

DisasterGuy

I can certainly see the issue there and have experienced similar. The divide between PSPC (Lynchburg) and RF (Rochester) is pretty easy to see from the customer edge. The 100p and 200p are both RF Division products being sold via PSPC. They really need to consolidate PSPC into the RF Division but I have a feeling that if they did all customer focus would be lost.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I can certainly see the issue there and have experienced similar. The divide between PSPC (Lynchburg) and RF (Rochester) is pretty easy to see from the customer edge. The 100p and 200p are both RF Division products being sold via PSPC. They really need to consolidate PSPC into the RF Division but I have a feeling that if they did all customer focus would be lost.

Didn't that technically happen recently?

I thought I saw a press release regarding that 6-12 months ago, saying PSPC and RF would merge or were 'now merging'...

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
RF and PSPC are separate, but interrelated.

PSPC (Lynchburg & Forest VA) does primarily public safety radios, with some DoD customers.

RF (Rochester NY) does primarily secure DoD and FedGovt radios. Yes they do produce some radios for PSPC in Rochester, but that is secondary.

For anyone from Lynchburg visiting Rochester, it required the individual to have an active SECRET clearance to even get in the front door. Visits by groups of non-cleared employees were held off site.

Status
Not open for further replies.