• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M7100 Programming Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Need a little help. I have a XG-100P that I've programmed for NAS and works great. I recently picked up an M7100 (with remote head) and the display shows the current programming, but the RPM can't read the radio and says the radio must be put in programming mode. I've researched the M7100 manual and none of the buttons on the remote head are setup to get the radio into programming mode. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 73's.

merlin

There are two remote head cables and two different programming cables.
If your remote cable has the pigtail with a DB-15f, you can use the DB-9f to DB-15m programming cable.
No need to disconnect anything.
OTHERWISE. you need the DB-9f to DB-37 cable. You disconnect the remote cable and plug the programming cable in its place.
In case 1, the radios is wired up and working. Just connect to the computer, start RPM, select radio type/bandsplit. and read from the radio.
In 'otherwise case', the ignition sense AND main power to the power source. Now connected to the computer, it is the same process.
First thing I do with a radio, is start maintenance. Read tracking and features and save the files. Then in RPM, read the personality and save that.
Anything goes amuck from there, you have something to recover the radio.
Rear Cable = CA101288V4-R3A has the DB-15 programming port
The other does not.
RPM or maintenance starts the programming mode itself.
73s

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Good information, Merlin. The cable I have is the USB to Male DB9 serial adapter w/FTDI chipset. So what I'm hearing from you is that I need a different programming cable?

merlin

Hi. That USB cable you have will work just fine. You will yet need one of the programming cables I described.
Which one, depends on the rear mount cable you have.
These are easy enough to make. I will attach drawings for you. ( sorry, I misplaced the Harris part numbers for these)
The computer end is DB-9 female. Plug your USB/RS232 into this. Can also plug into a real RS232 port.
The radio end with the DB-37 connects directly to the radio with the rear cable removed. Sorry for the crude text format but this is accurate and works.
The DB-15 male end plugs into the pigtail that goes to the back of the control head. The main purpose for this, is field programming without the need to disconnect anything from the installation.
Anything else, just ask.

Attachments

• ORIONpgmcable.txt
    361 bytes · Views: 23
  • PgmCable2.jpg
    PgmCable2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 27

merlin

AN UPDATE: one flaw with the DB-37 cable > Pin 25 and pin 8 are jumpered.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thanks, Merlin. Appreciate the detailed information. 73’s. - John

Something to add to Merlin's info... if you're looking to use the DB15 connector, it's part of the accessory cable, of which there were at least three versions:

1. Ignition sense wire and a speaker connector only (very rare).
2. Ignition sense wire, speaker connector and various accessory wires.
3. Ignition sense wire, speaker connector, various accessory wires and the DB15 remote programming port.

Option 3 was an extra-cost option, and if you have Option 3, you can use the DB9 to DB15 programming cable Merlin mentioned.

You can also fabricate your own programming cable. I made one using DB37 and DB9 connectors and also put in the ignition sense and speaker connections. However, you can only use this with dash mount (Harris calls them "front mount") radios; the remote mount radios require a control head, for which you absolutely must have either Option 3, or the funky programming cable with the male/female DB37 adapter (see attached).

The funky one requires that the control head be disconnected and the big DB37 thing installed between it and the radio, which is a serious pain if the radio is installed in a console or vehicle (anywhere with limited access). Many times I appreciated our customers who actually followed our advice and spent the few extra dollars to buy the Option 3 accessory cable.

IMG_5663.jpgIMG_5664.jpg

I've researched the M7100 manual and none of the buttons on the remote head are setup to get the radio into programming mode. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 73's.

There is a key combination to force programming mode (hold down X and Y then power on); I don't remember what it is offhand.

Last edited:

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
There is a key combination to force programming mode (hold down X and Y then power on); I don't remember what it is offhand.

I don’t know for sure, but on many other Harris radios, it’s CLR/MON, Option, and PTT… that’s what it is in my P7100s and also on my XG100Ms and this radio was made in between those models so I’d give that a try!

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, guys. Appreciate all the advice. Will try some options this weekend. 73’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.