• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ma/COM OpenSky

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
mfn002 said:
Maybe a OpenSky scanner is coming. But, due to the somewhat complicated nature of the system, I don't know how well it would actually work, but I gues there's a way around that. Has there been any mention of ProVoice?

:lol: They can't even get their own radios to work reliably! :p

ar5crash

if i am not mistaking to switch between these modes the radio would have to be rebooted. that will take about 45 seconds. its not as easy as turning the channel/talk group.

ar5crash

i wouldn't look foward to scanning in NY. this is a tdma ip network supplying 4 time slots for data and voice. in NY there is dual layer of encryption. 1 256bit not shure of the other. even if you had a macom radio you still need to break the encription. but most of all we are all forgeting about cells. the system works in cells. "a" cell calls "c" cell and "b" cell hears nothing unless there is a request by a valid radio in "b" cell. even if you could break the encryption to hear audio. you need a request (valid radio)in your cell. NY has a big intrest in the network being secure. IT IS A NETWORK!!! every radio has its own mac address. yes it is a mac address.

N

N_Jay

ar5crash said:
i wouldn't look forward to scanning in NY. this is a tdma ip network supplying 4 time slots for data and voice.
Yes, we know. It's called OpenSky!

ar5crash said:
in NY there is dual layer of encryption. 1 256bit not shure of the other. even if you had a macom radio you still need to break the encription.
Are you sure it is all running encryption?

ar5crash said:
but most of all we are all forgeting about cells. the system works in cells. "a" cell calls "c" cell and "b" cell hears nothing unless there is a request by a valid radio in "b" cell.
Yes, this has been mentioned quite often as one of the big reasons most cellular like systems (opensky and iDEN) will never have scanners.

ar5crash said:
IT IS A NETWORK!!! every radio has its own mac address. yes it is a mac address.
Address yes, I would hardly call it a MAC, it is more like an ESN.

But other than that you are right on the money!

MASTR-V

N_Jay said:
Address yes, I would hardly call it a MAC, it is more like an ESN.

Well, the radios do have an ESN, but they are addressed on the OpenSky network using an IP address.

You ought to see one of those radios register on the network - there are about 5-10 transmissions made by the radio! A far fetch from the one short "login" message on EDACS. :)

N

N_Jay

MASTR-V said:
Well, the radios do have an ESN, but they are addressed on the OpenSky network using an IP address.
Yep, I know they use IP addressing (layer 3), but I don't think they use MAC (layer 2).
Would love to know if I am wrong.

MASTR-V said:
You ought to see one of those radios register on the network - there are about 5-10 transmissions made by the radio! A far fetch from the one short "login" message on EDACS. :)
Of course! IP is a verbose and "chatty" protocol, and that is one of the reasons it is not a good radio protocol.
However with that said, it does seem that M/A-COM has it working fairly well.

MASTR-V

To add a user to the NAS database, the only information that is radio-centric that must be entered is the ESN, and that gets paired with a static IP address. Historically in computing, MAC addresses have been way too easy to clone, so I can see the reason that they don't use that to identify the radio. MAC addressing may be used as part of a background application on the radio or system, but nothing that I see has ever asked for a MAC address. It's all IP addresses or UDP ports, and UDP is mostly for consoles.

It certainly is chatty though! But no need to worry about battery life because of the low RF duty cycle of TDMA.

Last edited:

radioron231

I use an Opensky radio and my portable radio can attach on average to 3 to 5 different towers because of the overlap in coverage. If someone could build an opensky scanner it would be possible to listen to a large number of talkgroups. If the scanner can decode the signal it would have a lot of talkgroups to listen to.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.